Alfa of Tacoma retirement update - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Alfa of Tacoma retirement update

Many of us here have had our Alfas serviced at Alfa of Tacoma, and Carlo and Lino's knowledge and service have approached legendary status among northwest Italian car fans.

This may not be news for anyone "in the know" but it was to me:

I stopped by the shop a couple of Saturdays ago, and although they're not technically open on Saturdays, I was hoping to at least make an appointment to get some exhaust work done on my Spider.

The fellow I talked to mentioned that the brothers are retiring very soon, and not really taking on any new business. They're apparently finishing up the cars that are already in the shop, and according to the nice guy I talked to (sorry, I didn't catch his name), the shop will probably close when they're done.

Sad day, but much thanks for all the good work they've done.

Ciao!

1989 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Uh oh. Carlo has done work on my Alfas since the late 60's. Going to have to make sure I don't need anything soon in my cars. I knew the day would arrive some day in the future, and it's been a great run, but hate to think of anyone else touching my Alfas.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:27 PM

It was a great 40 year run. Durantes have been a local treasure keeping our Alfas on the road.

Buona fortuna.
Attached Images

Last edited by Balocco211; 04-17-2015 at 08:31 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 10:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
i was visiting from NYC on business and decided to stop by the shop since i heard a lot of good things about them.

hopefully someone in the area can buy the shop and keep it going.
Attached Images

1992 alfa romeo spider veloce
2000 saab 9-3 coupe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 10:04 PM

a few more pics..
Attached Images

2000 saab 9-3 coupe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 08:52 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Wow! What a treasure trove. Bet there is mounds of cool artifacts in there.

87 Milano Verde

Derik O.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 PM

Exclamation More than you would ever believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCisIN View Post
Wow! What a treasure trove. Bet there is mounds of cool artifacts in there.
Man! You have no idea! Few people have ever had the unbelievably marvelous experience of being allowed into the basement of their establishment. I am certain there are cars and parts in there that even Carlo and Lino no longer recall. Periodically we hear of a particular car being again found there that someone in the NWARC now drives.

What seems one of the sad aspects of the return of Alfa Romeo to this area is that neither of the predecessors and continuing long time supporters of the club were given dealerships. Neither Alfa Romeo of Tacoma (not the "new" Fiat and Alfa of Tacoma, the new Alfa dealer nor Ferrari of Seattle (the old Alfa Romeo of Bellevue who took over Grand Prix motors -- i.e. Pasquale and his son) were given dealerships. It seems that Fiat first demanded that they agree to be Fiat dealers first to later get a new Alfa dealership. That would be terribly hard for a shop already doing Ferrari and Masarati in large and comfortable volume.

But Alfa runs things its own strange way. Rumor has it that Alfa teamed with a little lightbulb company in Japan to develop a new spider to replace the one Alfa provided from 1974 to 1994, but suddenly abandoned it to Mazda because of a desire to compete head on with Lexus. The result -- the 164 which was indeed wonderful, but which they also tried to sell in huge volume through Chrysler dealers also. But they could not fix them when brought back on breakdowns while in warranty. Consequently, that car brought Alfa the reputation as the very worst of cars and caused it to leave the American market since 1995. But Mazda ended up producing and selling the most convertibles -- the Miata -- that any other manufacturer EVER.

And remember how the literature was that Alfa was going to combine with Mazda to come out with a new convertible. Nope -- turned it over to Mazda agan. Alfa did show a 4C type convertible but where is it? And according to the most recent info (as per last night's monthly meeting of the club) the cost of the new Giulietta Quadrifoglio (i.e. expensive sedan) the cost will be in the $85,000 range or more depending if the company can get it accepted by the powers that be (some 274 or so cars sitting without engine or running gear awaiting acceptance -- or did I hear that wrong?)

Well, I waited 20 years since 1995 to get a new Alfa. My wife says the 4C is like having to crawl into a bathtub while ducking under a lid to sit on the bottom (in a seat a bit narrow for her on the passenger seat), and in the driver seat sitting with legs lying on the bottom of the tub with the pedals at the drain location, and then to get out being forced to put one leg over the edge and dragging the other over so one can sit on the top edge of the tub (a totally "un-ladylike procedure in a dress). So it looks like I will never buy one of those 4C cars to "tool around" in. Nor could I now that I am retired and doing only pro-bono work ever afford the cost of a new Giulietta (if and when it is ever coming here -- Hah! 2016? At least that is better than the old "two years from now" that has been the pitch that kept me going the last 20 years).

So it seems I will have to be content with my old Alfas and drive them until I no longer can. I suspect many many other old guys have in life come to that conclusion. Seems that may be why old Alfa cars are never available until somebody dies and widows sell them in an estate sale. Bummer!

But, maybe Carlo and Lino might have a basement sale. Lot's of cool stuff down there. We must be sure to tell everybody if they do. Keep your eyeballs peeled and greasy.

[B]JAY NUXOLL [/B][EMAIL="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"], seriously Alfa diseased and ancient OLD Two Liter Lover, put together Seattle area's Northwest Alfa Romeo Club in 1965, and still feebly tries to tend a teeny sacred flame to his serpent mistress in the [B]ALFA G'RAJ MAHAL[/B], a home garage temple with more Alfa cars and parts than he dare list because of the disapproval of his shamed and chagrined family. (425) 641-2600.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 08:11 PM

any chance they will remain open or are they 100% closing for good?

2000 saab 9-3 coupe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode