Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Vintage legal racing tires

7K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ECARRILLO 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me where I can purchase a set of 60 series 14" vintage legal racing tires? I've checked Tire Rack and Discount Tire....... seems like manufactures are not making 60 series anymore. Thanks, T.H.

#4 ·
Don't forget the YOKO 032R

My favourite is the Yokohama 032R. It comes in 195/60x14 and is super sticky...plus wears great. Some Historic groups will not allow 55 series.
I had a set of the former Yoko 008R's on my old Guilia Super and vintage raced plus used them on the street...they are still out there on a friend's Spider..10 years after! Not quite as sticky as new. Check www.yokohama.com.

#6 ·
I have been doing a search for tires for our Giulia Supers which are limited in cross-sectional width in the rear wheel well, and this is what I have so far.

Unfortunatly Yokohama is not making the A032 tire in 14" any more.

So far today the only 14" tires good for racing are: the Hoosier Street TD bias ply tire, and they are about 2 to 3 seconds a lap slower over the other tire from Hoosier; and that is the R6 in sixty series 14" . A great tire but gets slower each heat cycle. Both are over $160 a tire. (Too wide for a Super and GTVs older than 1968)

kuhmo Victoracer tires are NLA in sixty series, only 55 series.

Per Roger Krause: Avon tires are spotty in supply/delivery and performance.

Hoosier makes a 15" tire, the Speedster, in 185-65-15 at $160+. Unknown as to performance potential.

No one wants to make 14" race tires any more since the car manufacturers are going with 15, 16 and 17 inch rims; and 55 and 50 series tires.

Looks like the sanctioning bodies may have to revisit the sixty series tire rule, particularly since most of the 55 series tires have the same or less tread width over the sixty series tires that are NLA.

I have been in contact with Hoosier tire about making the Speedster in 185-65-14". If you are interested, a call to Hoosier at 1-574-784-3152 asking if they may be available, might help them make a decision. Do it now!

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for all the help.
I'm going to speak with the SOVERN competition committee and see what they "recommend" since 60 series tires are proving very difficult to find. I don't know what the out-come of this will bring but I'll keep everyone informed. Maybe if enough people voice their concerns they will review the situation. Thanks again, Todd H.

#9 ·
FALKEN Azenis RT 615 195-60 X 14

So I don't know if anyone on the bb has any experience with these tires but Discount Tire has a good deal on them @ $88.00 per tire. I figured for the price I would gamble and try a set.......If I can make the next trackday at Seattle I'll let people know what my VERY novice opinion is. It will probably take someone with more experience to say..... T.H.

#12 ·
So I don't know if anyone on the bb has any experience with these tires but Discount Tire has a good deal on them @ $88.00 per tire. I figured for the price I would gamble and try a set.......If I can make the next trackday at Seattle I'll let people know what my VERY novice opinion is. It will probably take someone with more experience to say..... T.H.
I bought them thinking I had not much to loose. They are a very good tire, not as sticky as a Hoosier, Kuhmo or Yokohama etc..., but they are good.
If you run an Endureo with these tires they last long and have good grip. Now, if you want to run up front and need everything you can get, these tires will not do it for you.

I also had 14" wheels and changed to 15", not many out ther to choose from.

The Goodyears are nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.