Who has let Ben from Ralli-Round install frame stiffeners on their spider? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Who has let Ben from Ralli-Round install frame stiffeners on their spider?

Ben really wants me to buy into this.

He said there are at least 3 that he has done.

I'm not talking about the bolt on stiffener, but the peel back under the sills, tie it all together and bolster the whole thing.

I guess his buddy and next door neighbor Terry does all the work.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I would suggest that you insist on seeing an actual example of one of those jobs he did.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM

My understanding of how the traditional frame stiffener works, is not to tie it to the existing structural members, but to have it act as a separate member which works under compression/extension - not flexure - to resist the twisting action on the body. Kind of like, in a small way, the the roof structure on a GTV helps stiffen the entire body structure. I would think that to achieve the same increase in body stiffness by increasing the strength of the actual sills of the car, would require much more weight than by adding the traditional stiffener.

Best regards,

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Robert,

You might want to move this thread over to the main Spider or Suspension forums; should get more responses to your question there.

Best regards,
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I would but since Ben is really only known in Seattle, I figured this was the proper place to ask around.

Anyone have good/bad experiences with this proceedure?

ben is such a wealth of knowledge. Nice guy, but point at any part and he will quote you 3x the price I've noticed. I like the idea of him staying in business for sure, but come on, his prices are scary.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM

Out of curiosity, what does Ben from Ralli-Round claim to be the advantages of this procedure, and what is his price.

Best regards,
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Well, what's he going to charge you for this? The standard chassis stiffener works well and costs about $1K installed, less if you do the install yourself. If it's not saving you money versus that I'd just buy a chassis stiffener - it's a proven solution.

Tom

1991 Spider
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Rob -
I am aware of only one local who has a chassis stiffener installed, and he had Wes I. do it many years ago, when his shop was still down in Cloverdale. The customer, a clubmember and friend, was VERY happy with the results, though I remember that Wes remarked that the installation was a real b*tch!! Wes also told me that the car was very much stiffer than my Spider (at the time, I owned an 87 Veloce).
As others have stated, I would be interested in knowing more about the advantages of such an expensive procedure.....

[I]"It's the best in class by default, because it's the only thing in its class." [/I]
~Richard Hammond on the Alfa 4C

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Ben isn't proposing to bolt on a pre-made stiffener, but custom fabricate under-rails to the frame itself, welding them in place along the way, plus something about peeling back the skin under the sils and "correcting" Alfa's under-skin problem (his words)

He claims the suspension should do all the work but it doesn't get a chance due to the flex of the frame.

He also said he has done 3 of these so far in Seattle.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvolz View Post
Ben isn't proposing to bolt on a pre-made stiffener, but custom fabricate under-rails to the frame itself, welding them in place along the way, plus something about peeling back the skin under the sils and "correcting" Alfa's under-skin problem (his words)
Yes, I understand. My question was how much he was proposing to charge for this.

The pre-made stiffener works quite well, isn't horrendously expensive or heavy, and doesn't require any non-reversible modifications to the car. Unless the option he's proposing is significantly cheaper I can't really see it being worth it.

I mean, he might argue it gives "better" stiffening than the bolt-on model, but if we're talking about a street car the degree of difference is probably within the noise.

Tom

1991 Spider
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

lets just say its spendy. The post was simply to find who has done this previously. Ben says he has done it 3X already. Looking for Seattle people to chime in.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Ah, spendy! Take my above advice, then: just go with the bolt-on stiffener. It works great. I can't see Ben's solution being measurably better to justify the spendi-ness.

(Of course, there's always the third option of installing the bolt-on stiffener, then get the extra money you saved over the welded solution in dollar bills and use them to stuff the frame rails!)

Anyway, I thought this thread was in direct reference to what you were asking about? Or am I confused?

Integrated Chassis Brace/Stiffener

Tom

1991 Spider
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I thought I was clear in my requests. I wanted somebody from Seattle who HAS had Ben do this to tell me/us their opinion.

Not even sure why you chimed in. Not at all.

If you were a regular at this shop you might have seen his fillet'd out Spider to see why he thinks he can do what in his opinion the factory neglected to do.

Seems like I'm repeating myself here.
Robert
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Hey, nice attitude there when someone's trying to help, Rob. Have your doc up the dosage

Anyway, if you click on the link I posted, you'll see it's to a guy who had Ben do the bracing. He's got pics and everything. Wasn't at all clear that you'd seen it.

Tom

1991 Spider
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Great googly-moogly, Rob. You find the thread I pointed out to you and not even a "Thanks Tom and sorry I mouthed off to you when you were trying to keep me from convincing myself to waste money."?

It's fine. I'll still help you next time. Maybe.

Tom

1991 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode