2.0L Rebuild in Seattle - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-13-2010, 02:57 PM

2.0L Rebuild in Seattle

Links & photos added from my other post following this post.

Hey NW Alfisti's-
With the cold weather setting back in I've returned inside to complete my 2.0 rebuild project. Had Steve Hannaford repair my head, John's clean my block and pieces, Wes donated two liners, and have new items from Center-line and IPA.
I've been getting it done by borrowing a few items (engine stand adapter from Pat Hood, tools from neighbor) and getting help and info from the BB. (I'm on the Engine Rebuilding threads)
It's moving along quite nicely and I'm having fun. A few elements are holding me back and I could move forward with makeshift tools but thought I'd reach out and see if one of you might have done this before and have a couple of the specialty tools I could buy, borrow, rent or suggest workarounds.
A. Flywheel Lock
B. Idler Gear bushing reamers
C. Gauge - T.D.C
D. Camshaft locking tool / Spanner wrench
E. ?
Here is a picture from my Ballard basement shop. (nice and toasty)
THANKS, Kirk
Attached Images

Last edited by kirkovision; 03-29-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Links & photos added from my other post
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Kirk,

I have a couple of flywheel locks if you're still in need of one.

Rob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 PM

Photo Update on rebuild

I've kind of got my rebuild scattered over several threads so I thought I'd link them together in this thread.

Finally back at the project after a long winter nap.
Head, block, flywheel, clutch and PP are back on and now gathering a few parts to get the engine ready to go back in where she belongs and back out on the road too.

I'll start with some picks of the dirty works and then post the cleaned up parts.

Not sure how far I'm going yet. The one nagging question, besides if I've done the job correctly, or at least good enough to enjoy driving her, is the transmission. Haven't yet cracked the case. Many in my circle recommend letting that dog lay. I do see a few tiny drops of fluid after sitting for several months but not sure if I want to open that can up. I also see a few suggestions and tips about making first gear a synchronized gear so you don't have to go to 2nd or 4th for entry from a stop. Speaking of second gear, it's never been a problem for me because I always double shift anyway.
Probably sleep on it a few more days.

And now the dirty dirty photos. Okay, not that dirty, I steam cleaned most of the dirt off. BTW main reason for removal, Blowing Oil out about a quart an hour. Crack in the head, rings shot, and just a dirty girl (inside).
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 PM

More dirty photos

Here are a few more prior to a thorough cleaning.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 PM

Parts back from the washing machine

And NOW the fun begins! Clean parts to put back together, if I can remember how!

Here is a link to the question about lining up the piston ring gaps upon reinstall.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engi...tml#post994296

Here is a link to the question about my timing gears binding on the Camshaft Idler Gear Bushing when adding the front engine cover.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engi...tml#post994300
Attached Images

Last edited by kirkovision; 04-07-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 PM

So many parts!

Here is a link to the question - "What do all these parts do that came in this rebuild kit?

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engi...-elements.html

I would be great if the kit assemblers would provide a small part list. Many parts in the rebuild kit are not needed for my '86 spider but there were several small parts that, I think, should be included in the kits.
Gasket for the thermostat and thermostat housing (2)
Lock tabs for the two main crank nuts.
Lock washer for the front pulley nut.
VVT donut washer
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 PM

More links and photos

Here is the link to the BB about my crank removal problem. I was lucky enough to have VintageRob drop off a crank lock for my rebuilding efforts.
Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engi...ions-help.html

Here is a link (that I didn't mean to take over) to my question about the cigarette filters. I didn't have the Alfa tool to seat them so I added a bit of assembly lube and slid them in with the crank bearing cap. When I bolted on the oil pan, they must have been squished into place. I guess I'll know when she fires up and sits for a few days in one spot.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engi...rebuild-3.html

Forgot to mention, besides the main Alfa shop manual, I ordered the rebuild manual from eSportsCarParts for $23.45 and it was well worth the cost. Had all the steps, pic and torques. And it's nicely printed too!

Also want to thank CarPoor AKA Pat Hood for the extended use of the engine stand mount. It been working great!
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2011, 11:59 PM

Timing the cams

Here are some photos of the timing marks Left (exhaust) and Right (intake)
I do not have the proper tools for measuring the timing so I did the next best thing, I guessed. I mean really how far off could I be??

I lined up the Crank, Cams and Rotor to all the marks and used a stick to find TDC. Using the torque wrench, I counted the piston and cam movements and it all looks to be with in a degree or two. Hopefully she won't blow up on me.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 AM

Question The big Transmission Question

So folks, the big question for the week is, should I crack open the transmission and take a peek inside, or should I just add new fluid and move on to the next step?
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Empty Alfa Spider Engine Bay

Here are some shots after a bit of clean up. Preparing to move most wires and hoses for a quick paint job (w/Rustolium spray can). I've also removed most of the AC and plan on using the internal AC core for more heat. (see this link)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/air-...86-spider.html

Also a couple shots of the engine build up ( FI side).

And the flywheel locking tool borrowed from Rob T.
Also the borrowed motor mount stand adapter from Pat Hood in Seattle
Thanks Rob and Pat! They work great and much appreciated!

Really making progress because of all the rain this Spring in the NW has kept me inside. Sunny today (or right now) and really can't wait to get back out on the road. More to come!

Now, contemplating working on the front end while it's all open and clean.
Hoping to find a local Alfa spring removal tool. I'm scared of springs under pressure.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2011, 05:16 PM

Looking good Kirk!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkovision View Post
...Really making progress because of all the rain this Spring in the NW has kept me inside. Sunny today (or right now) and really can't wait to get back out on the road. More to come!
Sunny? *** are you? It's snowing at the north end of the lake!!!!

Gordy Hyde
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
Old 04-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Ready to Install

I've got the engine and tansmission all back together and ready to go in. Just before I dropped her back in, I cut the AC lines and hooked up some T's for later connection to turn the AC core on the cabin side to more heat.
Living in the NW, particularly this spring, has been especially cool and with little snow in Seattle, I like driving in the winters with the top down on our rare sunny days.
Here is a shot of me in my clean and painted engine bay. It's so clean, I've been sleeping in it! And no, that's not a Photoshop job.
Attached Images

Last edited by kirkovision; 04-22-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Add Photos
Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Bummer - Blue Smoke!

Well here it is May and my engine is back in and guess what? Blue Smoke!
I've eliminated most of the probable causes, Oil Separator leak, air leaks, water leaks, brake fluid leak and sounds like (from my head re-builder) my oil control rings are messed up and I'm bummed.

Starts nice, idles nice, power - nice, Just blue blue smoke.
I guess it will be clean for my tear down. but can't believe it.
Any help - ideas before I tear her back down???

BTW Here are two pictures of how the engine bay turnout with the motor in and me out.

And... once I get the engine to pass WA emissions, I'll be changing the break fluid and a bit more tiding up.
Attached Images

Last edited by kirkovision; 05-07-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: new pics
Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkovision View Post
... Here is a shot of me in my clean and painted engine bay. It's so clean, I've been sleeping in it! And no, that's not a Photoshop job.
Makin' Larry B. jealous, if he were to see it.
Very nice Kirk

Gordy Hyde
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.