Alfa Romeo Forums banner

NWARC Elections

1K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Nicola 
#1 ·
NWARC Election night is November 10th... we'll announce the location in the next couple days. Elections set the tone for the club for a year. Don’t leave that tone or direction up to the crazies like me. Make sure you are there to help set the course. We’ll enter you in the drawing for a free toaster… okay maybe not a toaster, but at least a nice door prize.

No one task is overwhelming and each requires the talents we have, or we know of the person with the talents. A great example was last month’s Whidbey Tour, setup by a new member who did a great job after seeking advice from a couple of seasoned members. The same holds true for the Competition Director Role. It has been held by a few people, and identified as being a bit demanding, so we are working to spread the effort out differently to make it more manageable. Almost any member can perform the elected roles, if they seek advice and support from the other members who have preceded them.

Our elections on November 10th will be for: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. All positions are part of the leadership Board along with the Competition, Activities, Membership Directors, and Webmaster, and Newsletter Editor. The meeting will be your chance to finalize the nominees and take the actual vote for the elected positions. If you think the club is running great… volunteer to be part of the Board and it’s success! If you think the club needs to do things a little differently, volunteer for a role and step in and help change it. As a member of the board, you’ll meet four times a year. These meetings may be face-to-face or via phone / e-mail.
Here are outlines of the elected roles so you’ll know what you are volunteering for, or may be nominated for. It’s actually fun and rewarding… it’s not at all like being an indentured servant.

President: The easiest job on the Board. Controls the activities of the overall Board and runs the Board meetings and presides over the club meetings. Writes a monthly column for the newsletter. Helps to find and fill openings in club committee spots. Typically uses around 5 hours monthly… plus attendance at the club meetings. Does not require Alfa ownership… only passion and some leaderships skills! 90% of our members can do this role.

Vice President: Fills in for the club President if the President cannot attend a meeting. Arranges locations and speakers (if any) for monthly club meetings. Tracks attendance at monthly club meetings. Typically requires 2 or 3 hours effort per month making arrangements for speakers or meeting locations. Also coordinates with activities director and newsletter editor for timing and announcement. Keeps records of contacts and hosts of prior events for future reference. Does not require Alfa ownership… only organization and communication skills! 90% of our club members can do this role.

Secretary: Keeps notes during our club and board meetings. Forwards the meeting notes to other board and committee members. Typically requires less than 1 hour effort monthly outside of the meetings themselves. Does not require Alfa ownership… only organization and communication skills! 95% of our members can do this role!

Treasurer: This role keeps our club finances in line. The key tasks are to track the money, pay the club bills, cover the track and driving events with insurance certificates, reimburse club members for club expenses, and manage the Accounts Receivable side. This uses a bit more time than the other roles… it varies monthly. 4—8 hours monthly is a good estimate. Requires good accounting accuracy. Once again, no Alfa ownership is required… but we changed the rules after our last treasurer so you don’t get a free car with this role. This is the toughest elected role!

The non-elected positions you can volunteer for are Activities, Membership, and Competition Directors. Additionally, the Webmaster role, and Newsletter Editor tasks. It’s not unheard of for people to sign up as a team with another member. (Wife & husband? Friend & friend? New member and long standing member?)

Competition: Very important role in the club since it effects our finances, safety, and some deep speed passions. You will need to manage all the track lapping events. What makes this role easy is the great existing program, tools, and volunteers… and past directors who will help. What is tough is we have a lot of track events so we need to work with you to spread that responsibility out across others. Help us determine how we do this and we’ll ensure you don’t get overloaded. Our track events cannot happen without this key role, and the role can’t happen without our club members support. Requires track experience, attention to safety, good organization and communication.

Activities: The master of the calendar. This role keeps all the events on the calendar and helps work with those planning the events to best fit the schedule, with minimal conflicts. They also work with the Treasurer to ensure events have insurance coverage when needed, and to help keep event costs under control for the club and members. The role requires social skills and some organization talent as well as 1 or 2 hours per month. No Alfa ownership needed. 95% of our members could do this role!

Membership: You have what is usually a simple fun role. First you get to welcome any new members to the club with an e-mail or phone call, as well as provide info about the club to prospective members who may have shown up at an event or meeting. Both gives you a chance to brag about the cool things we do as part of NWARC. The other fun aspect is looking for ways to attract new members… we don’t expect you to wear a sandwich board and walk a college campus or some downtown streets. You may work with other club Membership Directors or tap the National Membership chair… a local resource we call Joe. It takes no more than a couple hours per month and requires good social skills. No Alfa is required!

Webmaster: If you like to stay up late, put your feet up on the computer desk and have the patience to be a computer person… this role is for you. You’ll need to help keep information up to date on the website with the latest meeting info, and newsletter postings. If you can update other items, all the better. You would need to invest about 1 or 2 hours a month unless you get hooked, then you can put in 20+ hours. You choose. You do have to understand web applications and programming. (I know, I know… most kids can do this but only a few adults can.)

Newsletter Editor: A role with infinite rewards… if you talk too much. You need to gather stories and photos from people attending events, or “report” the event yourself. Pull together info about news, upcoming events, meetings, or any dirt you can find to put into the newsletter. You do this each month to your own entertainment, and hopefully to a few members as well. You can create your own design / layout that you feel is best and ensure the newsletter is published / mailed. Forward a pretty color version to the Webmaster and via e-mail to the members. The requirements are some mild computer skills, reasonable communication, and about 16 hours per month… plus attendance at events. This is the most fun role in NWARC.

You know the roles… now jump in, take your turn, and be a leader in the best Alfa Romeo club around. Respond to this thread with questions or thoughts... then we'll see you at the meeting on November 10th.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I checked the fine print... there luckily isn't any limit on the number of words in a single post. That one above has over 1300 words. If you read all of that you deserve the door prize just for patience!

The location for the November club meeting / shop tour / and election night has been determined!

Group2 Motorsports 4442-B 27th Ave West Seattle 98199
(Google or MapQuest can guide you to the place near the Ballard / Interbay areas of Seattle.)

6:30 PM until around 9:30 PM (And you'll get fed!)

They always have a fun assortment of projects to check out, but we'll also have a few prime vehicles brought in for us to enjoy from some notable private collections. A great variety of cars will be there... race, street, vintage, rare. They specialize in Alfa Romeos but support a lot of other cars as well. The club will provide food and drink for you to enjoy, plus that door prize I mentioned long ago. Group2 has a fun assortment of car related gift items from wheels, seats, parts, to books and movies.

We really want you to be there and enjoy a good evening of cars, friends, and conversation. See you there!

#4 ·
Did I mention that the food at the meeting / elections will be really good pizzas from a neighborhood pizzeria? Its true, and there will be pop and water to drink. :)

BYOB if you want something different to drink! :cool:

#5 ·
Thanks Fred -
I'm all over that -
(And the pizza should be good too!!)

#6 ·
The latest newsletters just went out with the details about our next club event (Group 2 Motorsports 6:30 PM November 10th).

The elections will be one portion of the meeting! The bigger portion will be the great cars, location, people, and pizza.

See you there!

#7 ·
Bump bump
Should be a good show. Nice car viewing for sure!!

#8 ·
Thanks to all of the members, including a few new members, who braved the rainy dark streets to find Group2 Motorsports for our meeting! Also, thanks to our hosts for allowing us to hang out in your cool shop, and to Luigi's for the very good Pizza!

Attachments

#9 ·
Which of the last two pictures ended up being the door prize?
The Gullwing or Paul Newman's Ferrari?
I think I had the winning ticket and you said something about 'not being present to win'????

#10 ·
I did draw your name for the winning Door Prize, it was the ultra rare alloy bodied 300 SL Gullwing. But when I saw you were present, it disqualified you. Since it wasn't an Alfa or designed by Zagato, I figured you didn't want it anyway. Remember next time to not be present if you really want to win!

#11 ·
I'm not here...
I'm merely a figment of your vivid imagination!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.