Alfa Romeo Forums banner

156 Noisy Intermittently Noisy on Startup

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Lev 
#1 ·
I own a 2002 Alfa 156, 1.6 cc. On startup the engine is very noisy for a few seconds. I have had it into Alfa Dealers who keep telling me it's 'normal' and caused by the oil not yet getting to the CAM regulator - I don't know anything about mechanics but this does not seem right to me. I would appreciate if anyone has experienced the same problem, can detail the actual cause or confirm if this is a real problem to reply.

Cheers,
Donald

#2 ·
It's probably the camshaft timing variator on it's way out. As long as it's only noisy on start up, it doesnt matter really. When your cambelt is due for a change have the variator changed aswell, as the cambelt have to come of to replace the variator. No need to have the same job carried out twice.

-- Hoygaard

#3 ·
Hi Donald

Does it make a ticking sound? That would indeed be the hydraulic lifters trying to pump the oil through. Can be quite normal, especially when cold. It might also be an indication that you need an oil/oil filter change. When did you last get your oil changed?

cheers
Lev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.