Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Experiences with the 156 V6 2.5L 24v

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Hans 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Yesterday I came across a black 2001 156 with the 2.5L V6 24V (auto) with sunroof, dealer maintenance record, momo leather interior and 60,000kms (about 38,000 miles).

Has anyone here had any experience with these V6 156's? Would appreciate any input, the good and the bad.

It seems the twin spark 156 has a better resale value than the V6 here in Aust, even though the V6 is about $15,000 more when new. Weird isn't it!

David C
Brisbane Australia

#2 ·
Hi David,

156 V6 Auto is a good package, not quite as well balanced as the 2.0 versions but a 2001 should be a 'Monza' spec which means better springs and shocks and 16" wheels- easy way to tell is the orange and black dials- the Monza is a factory Sportpack version. :)

V6 is more reliable than TS but is a lot more difficult and expensive to work on. The main problem is lack of space with the V6 shoehorned into the front- even replacing the oil filter is a major pain. :(

Local maintenance advice is to replace the timing belt at 3yrs or 60,000km- check to see if this has been done as it is a major and expensive job. If you do end up doing it- make sure you also replace the water pump and timing belt tensioner as these usually fail before 120,000km
:(
Get it checked out to make sure it is a good example- if so it is definately better value than the 2.0 version. :D

#3 ·
Hi I have had now over 5 years my car and I have somekind of knowledge of this car so far. Suspension bushes needs replacing before 100 000km. Because I have manual version I dont have any info about autobox. Cambelt,aux belt and all pulleys, tensioner would be good to change every 60tkm/3 years. Nothing major problems so far and my 156 has 116tkm on clock now. V6 services are bit more expensive than TS and it uses some more fuel I think those are the main reasons for the resale value. Engine is otherwise bulletproof just change those belts in time.

#4 ·
White164 said:
It seems the twin spark 156 has a better resale value than the V6 here in Aust, even though the V6 is about $15,000 more when new. Weird isn't it!
I know the Aussies love automatic gearboxes and I presume the V6 is mostly sold with an auto gearbox at your place. This would explain the lower resale value, because the automatic gearbox is a real pain in the you-know-what. The problem with the auto box is that it has only four forward gears. Even if you rev the engine a lot the revs drop too much when the next gear is engaged.

The V6 with manual transmission is very very very very nice, but if you want to enjoy the V6 for her power delivery don't take the automatic gearbox.

The V6 itself is indeed a bit more expensive in maintenance then the four cylinder twin spark engines, but the V6 is very reliable and lasts for ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.