Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Not new but interesting?? (excuse me)

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Hoygaard 
#1 ·
Hi everybody, new to alfa ownership so here goes! Bourght an alfa 155 not sure if 8 valve or 16v! MMMM, i hear you say!! Bad news, gear box gone bang! Does anyone know if the 16valve gearbox fits the 8 valve? How do you identify the engines? Can only get hold of 16valve gearbox, offrered 3 to date!!! My car is N reg 1.8ts on the cam cover it only reads Alfa Romeo!!! Any help would be appreciated!!!! Ta. :eek:

#2 ·
Pete -

the 16-valve engines say "16-valve" on the valve cover. Since it didn't say so on your valve cover, it's probably the older 1.8ts (8-valve).

I don't know if the 16-valve gearboxes will fit on the older 8-valve bolt pattern, might have to Google around for a bit.

#3 ·
Good thing about the 8 valve 4 cyl TS engines (as in 164, 75TS, and early 155) is that they have a timing chain instead of a timing belt - with the 16 valve heads and iron blocks they switched to a timing belt. The 8 valve TS is an evolution of the good old Alfa Nord engine, while the 16 valve is a Fiat derivative.

Jes

#5 ·
What is your VIN (vehicle ID number)) so I can look it up on parts CD?

#6 ·
See post above. It WON'T fit. I'm an eurotrash dubaya Bush hating lowlife, but this I know. The gearbox is totally different to the one fitted to the late 155 (IE 16valve), 145/46 and 147/156. The last year the 8V gearbox was fitted to a 155 was in 1996 where for some reason the 155 1.8 8v engine was fitted to the "new" WideBody chassis. I think most of them were named "155 silverstone"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.