Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Cam variator on a 147

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Alfisto Steve 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about the cam variator?
My 147 isn't 3 years old yet and i've got to have it replaced!
Anyone else had this problem?

#3 ·
3 years old you say. Then your car is up for a cambelt change too. If the car is in for a cambelt change anyway, the variator is quite easy to replace and it'll only set you back some €90. Have the cambelt replaced NOW :eek:

They last 120.000 Km's or three years. Cambelts that is, not variators. The variators can go kaput very quickly, but also last for a long time. My former car needed one after 4 years and 66000 km's. My mothers car had it replaced after 11.000 Km's and my recent car is on 76.000 Km's and not a single sound yet :confused:

Cheers
Hoygaard

PS. Have the cambelt changed now, I cannot state this too often ;)

#7 · (Edited)
I agree with Hoygaard.
The factory recommendation for cam-belt is: MAXIMUM service life 5 years/120,000 km or 3 years under harsh conditions.
There is a mandatory inspection at 3 years/60,000km whereby the belt should be replaced if it is showing signs of black dust or deterioration.
Our experience in Australia is that the belts normally require replacement the 3 yr 60k mark as we have a lot of city stop-start driving as well as wear caused by dust. Don't underestimate this critical item.

#10 ·
Mats,
Sweet looking ride you have. We are still trying to get parts together to convert Alex's Verde from ABS to brake booster system. I think we are close as we got a GTV6 pedal box we are informed should work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.