Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa Romeo Stelvio

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Vsix 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#6 ·
Don't you guys find it odd that FIAT bought Chrysler and yet thinks so lowly of ALL of it's (Chrysler's) products that it is ALL being replaced with FIAT platforms.

Now I'm not really a Chrysler fan but surely not all of what they produce is utter cr@p, surely something can help the FIAT group?

Otherwise I guess they bought it for the apparent sales market in America, so they will slap Chrysler badges on FIATs and sell more FIATs.
Pete

#14 · (Edited)
Chrysler products haven't been marketed in Europe for many years. Some Jeeps and a few Chrysler 300 have been sold in Europe mostly when Mercedes was owner of the Chrysler group.
Fiat have already done some efforts to sell Jeeps and lanced some smaller Jeeps based on Fiat platforms and engines. This year Fiat have lanced the Jeep Fullback pick up on European markets.
But the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Avenger isn't really suited for the European market. I know the two models from renting them on visits to the US. I'm not really impressed by them. Maybe if I have had the V6 versions my impression would have been different, but the 2,4 4 cyl. (ex Mitsubishi I believe) were very noisy and gutless for there size. I would have been more happy with the Dodge Dart with the multi air engine.
I think in general that Fiat have been quite successful turning Chrysler into a profitable business.

#7 ·
Where has FIAT said or even suggested they "think so lowly of ALL its (Chryslers) products" ?

And which (ALL??) are being replaced by FIAT?

#9 · (Edited)
I'll put it another way; so far no new car has been released based on a Chrysler platform, they have all been based on FIAT platforms.

Examples Dodge Dart and the Jeep Cherokee, use a FIAT platform. New Chrysler vehicles since the take over.

And does FIAT already have a large SUV (ie. American size), I don't think so, so logic dictates they should have built something on an existing Chrysler platform for the Stelvio ... but they haven't, they are using a plaform designed for a sports saloon for a SUV ... I guess that will work?
Pete

#8 ·
The Jeep line is their apparent big money maker, but they have had somewhat primitive chassis designs (the ones my father had were pretty **** crude). Nothing but good can come from having more modern designs for the Jeep line, and others.

Basically, From what I've read, Chrysler was available to be bought, and Fiat was looking for a way to enlarge the company out of Europe, picking up a way to re-introduce the Fiat/Alfa brand in the US, backed up by at least reasonable selling US products, the Jeep line and the Ram pickups.

#10 ·
The Jeep line is their apparent big money maker, but they have had somewhat primitive chassis designs (the ones my father had were pretty **** crude). Nothing but good can come from having more modern designs for the Jeep line, and others.
From what I have read and understand Americans (generalisation here) do not consider SUV's or Trucks to be the real deal unless it has a separate chassis. The Stelvio does not have this, so won't it be considered a "weaklings" SUV, ie. for poseurs?

I also believe that separate chassis vehicles are cheaper to crash test which is why the American manufacturers love SUV and trucks. Example the new Ford SUV sold here in New Zealand now has the separate chassis used in the Ford Ranger ute, replacing the unitary chassis of the Territory.
Pete

#15 ·
I believe the Chrysler side of the equation is carrying the day earnings-wise for the last few years. An interesting exception this year is Maserati due to the launch of the Levante (which I would think should bode well for Alfa's increased presence).

But the long game for FCA is no more passenger cars to be built in North America.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.