Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Manual Brera 3.2 JTS Q4 2007??

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Luigim 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new, I'm looking at a 2007 Brera 3.2 JTS Q4 Manual coupe.....I have two queries ..... does the weighty nature of the car make it a bit sluggish for normal / somewhat spirited driving...which would be disappointing....and ..... why has a car with 64k had five owners? How has this car disappointed so many people? It seems to have all the right credentials..... I want it but.......:001_huh:

#5 ·
We have a GT in the stable (my son's car). The GT is the 147-chassis-based predecessor to the 159-chassis-based Brera.
There are some pros and cons about each chassis (eg cost to refresh suspension arms/bushes goes up with Brera), but some weaknesses in the GT were overcome in the Brera, like diff longevity and FWD steering pull under big power. so do read up a bit.
The design is stunning (to my eyes). The 3.2 engine is a stunner. Tons of torque, linear power delivery, feels strong everywhere, and still sounds nice, if a little muted. 200,000+ kms on this car, and still strong as an OX. 6-speed is fine to use - gates not so close together to pick wrong slot, unlike some.
The car is weighty, and as stated above, it does indeed make a fine Grand Tourer, but quick-geared steering, flat cornering, fine brakes and prodigious grip mean it is still plenty of fun to hustle through the hills and more open 'B' roads. Not as nimble as a smaller car, of course, but still very nice.
Downsides? Thirsty if you push the loud pedal. You won't, will you? Quick enough you may feel you need to tip-toe a little around town, which occasionally feels wasteful, but makes you want to take it somewhere where you can give it it's head.
Some repair work expensive, due to the amount of dismantling required to access some bits under the bonnet. Clunky sway bushes? Replacement requires dropping the engine subframe, for example. In a country where the car isn't imported, if you need major repairs, your mechanic will have to do some reading-up to carry out some work.
Great interior. Surprisingly roomy, even in the back, and plenty of luggage space.
But mostly, just......N-I-C-E.
I'm not allowed to drive it as often as I'd like.

(Edit: just noticed the original post was a year ago...
- .JerryStutterd - did you buy it?
Luigim - if you saw one...surely "yes", eh?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.