Alfa Romeo Forums banner

High rev engine noise

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  89Spyderman 
#1 ·
Hello to all on this board
I have an 89 spider with 30,000 very original very sweet miles...And thanks to all the people who visited with me at the italian car fest in Grapevine Tx last year..Anyway car is making a very strange very high pinging sound during strong aceleration to 5500 or more a slow run up through the gears does not bring that sound out. It is much louder then detonation and it only happens in about the 5000 to 5500 range on the tachometer. And like I said a casual slow run up to that range does not bring out this sound..I am stumped any ideas ??

#3 ·
Engine temp seems to make no diff although I only take it out for brief blasts every now and then I don't know if it would do it when it was cold although I don't think I would have the heart or the wallet to step on a cold engine like that :)
Anyway yes the timing chain was in the back of mind on this maybe I need to take the cam cover off and take a look at it.
Would high rpm place an additional stress on the chain and force it into the cam cover? And the chain not be forced into the cover during a slow run up through the gears?
:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.