Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Default Volume in ALFA GT

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TorW 
#1 ·
The Volume in theNew Alfa GT always reverts to 20 on restart, regardless of the last used setting, and this is way too low. There is no setting in the headunit menus for setting default volume, and it has nothing to do with other features such as Speed Voume Control (SVC) in non Bose systems or dynamic equalisation in Bose systems. The head unit is made by Blaupunkt for Alfa, but Blaupunkt (Bosch) UK had no help to offer. Can the headunit be reprogrammed? Is there a service mode for these headunits? Its really annoying to have to fiddle with steering controls at the start of every journey.

#3 ·
I agree, really anoying and have not been able to change the settings either. The 147 non-Bose head unit was nicer. You also had the user equalizer which was good. The Bose unit does have SVC, you just can't turn it on or off. Have you noticed that their are no tweeters installed in the Bose system. My 147 had Infinity splits in the doors, and a kenwood 12 inch sub. Sounded really good. Haven't had the enrgy to put it back into the GT.

#4 ·
Bose systems do have tweeters, but they are mounted together with the bigger speakers in the doors. As you have seen, the non-Bose tweeter holes near the door handles have nothing behind the mesh.

It's a common misconception that 147 Bose systems havs some kind of wideband speakers installed. Well, they don't :)

#5 ·
Yes Sirocco, 20 it is on the GT, even says so in the handbook. It remembers the last volume if its under 20, if it was over 20 at switch off then it limits it to 20 inext time you turn on. I've been trying through sheer doggedness to find some switch off routine that might change this, and strangest thing, if I start the car by going rapidly from the first poition on the ignition key straight throught to the start position (turning the engine), the radio starts at the last set volume. If I do anything other than this, such as allowing the key to rest in the iginition position first, even for a split second, then its volume = 20. Turning on the radio manually, or off manually, with or without the engine running, or when the engines stopped with or without the key in the ignition position, all results in 20. If I turn off the engine, but then switch back to ignition position, its 20. So only if I whip the key straight through to start (and I mean whip), do I get the last volume setting, provided I stopped the engine and do not start the radio manually or by turning to ignition in between. Whats happening here? It looks like I'm overcoming some startup signal that detects radio on but engine not running. this logic must originate in the radio itself, as it occurs if ypu switch the radio on and off manually, regardless of the presence and position of the key, and whether the engine is running or not. The radio has a data line a CAN which I think is a Car Area Network (like a LAN), and I thought perhaps that some data is present (or absent as the case may be) on this line which presents the radio with the instruction to go to 20. Any tech heads out there with access to the design logic of these Baupunkt head units? I'm a tecchie myself, so dont spare me jargon. I like the car listing thing by the way. let me see:

Current
06 Alfa GT MJet
02 peugeot 406 HDi (for sale)
01 Hyundai Coupe 1.6 FX (Tiburon in the US)
96 Citroen ZX (a banger for visiting the breakers)
past cars
97 Peugeot 406 SR
93, 89 and 88 Peugeot 405's (I like peugeot)
94 renault 19
82 VW Jetta
78 VW Golf (first small diesel production)
1971 Ford Cortina Mark 3 1.3 (My first car, bought s/h in 77, it was a babe magnet)

#6 ·
TorW said:
Bose systems do have tweeters, but they are mounted together with the bigger speakers in the doors. As you have seen, the non-Bose tweeter holes near the door handles have nothing behind the mesh.

It's a common misconception that 147 Bose systems havs some kind of wideband speakers installed. Well, they don't :)
:confused:
So how many speakers does the 147 have?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.