Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa 147 Possibly Related Problems

11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mont 
#1 · (Edited)
My Alfa 147 has covered 95,000km and just recently over the past 3 weeks, two problems have arose within days of each other. My first problem had to do with the remote central locking. Firstly, the radius for it to operate became very poor (about 5m was the maximum distance). Then sometimes it would not even work at all (the unlock, lock and boot release buttons). I've since replaced the key with a brand new battery but this didn't alter anything. I've tested both the main key and spare key, but the problem remains. When I press the button, the light on the key flashes once only briefly, and sometimes if I push the boot release button you can hear a click in the boot (as if it has almost released it).
About a week after these problems arose, sometimes when I go to start the car you can hear the engine try to kick over but it won't. Once I remove the key and start it again it is fine (it always seems to work on the second try). This has only happened to me four times over the past 2 weeks (so it's intermittent), and barring one occasion, the problem seems to occur when I try starting after I haven't used the car for 6+hours. Also I should mention, NO failure lights stay on.
I've taken it to the Alfa Dealer and as you would expect the car worked perfectly when it was there (even the radius for the remote central locking appeared normal). They've recoded the keys and had a look at the ignition and engine (including spark plugs), but otherwise couldn't find any problems at all. I got the car back yesterday and this morning when I went to use it, I tested the lock button on the key, it worked. But then when I went to unlock it, it wouldn't - so had to unlock it manually. I went to start the engine and this time I couldn't even hear it try and start! I remove and replace the key, this time I can hear it try and start but won't. The third time it started normally. I then drove down the street and back. Turned it off. On. Off. On. Without any hassel. Tested the remote central locking - which worked fine except for the poor radius again.
I'm thinking the issue may be with a failing transponder for the remote central locking which may fail to disengage the engine immobilizer, causing this intermittent ignition problem. But then how come it started on the second attempt?? :confused: Perhaps the two problems aren't related.
I would GREATLY appreciate your input on this matter,
Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
TorW said:
How old is your battery? I had symptoms like these on another car when one of the battery cells failed. Sometimes it started right away, sometimes it was stone cold dead. A battery with less than 12 volts is effectively dead.
You know, something as simple as this never crossed my mind (nor that of the Alfa dealer!). Is there any easy way that I can check this myself?
Thanks so much.

#5 ·
Even if the battery indicator tells you that it is okay, on European Alfa 147 JTD 16v the battery is a 60Ah Exide with a small round window with 3 colours black - dead, white - charge and green - Ok, but it is a false hope.
Last night my 147 was "dead" without any previous warning, the indicator was green but only 10 V on it!!

I changed for a new Bosch 74 Ah and the pointer on the speedo doesn't move anymore...

It seems that these cars suffer a lot without a proper battery (12 v+).

Mont

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.