Alfa Romeo Forums banner

6' Too Tall For a GTV?

7K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  V6 Alfa 
#1 ·
Hi all. I'm looking to buy a GTV. I'd heard that taller people may have headroom issues. I'm 6' and am wondering if that would likely be an issue for me? What is the problem? Visibility through the visor? Head touching the ceiling? Or?

Unfortunately there aren't any to test drive within a 90 minute drive of where I live. Else I'd just go find out for myself. But if I knew one way or the other then it makes the trip to look at the car a bit more worth while.

Cheers, Peter

#2 ·
If you're looking for a GTV 916.. the main issue would be your head touching the ceiling.. i'm 5'10 and fits just right... but surely you can find a way to drive the car if you really want it.. recline the seats maybe =)... the car is a blast to drive!.. visibility of the car in front is great but side and back are non-existent!

#6 ·
kenogre said:
visibility of the car in front is great but side and back are non-existent!
The original question seemed so simple. As always, however, there are many answers. It appears that a person's overall height is not the main concern. What counts is how tall the driver is when seated ... and what type of seat is in the car. Seats vary by model year, and many GTVs now use aftermarket seats.

Photos of my car's seats are here: http://greend.com/At_the_upholstery_shop.htm

These stock 1967 GTV seats are lower than those on newer GTVs. I recline the driver's seat slightly to get my arms away from the wheel. That gives me plenty of headroom and still allows me to have a clear view out the sides and back of the car. A taller seat should give the same good vision out.

Peter, sounds to me like you need to find a GTV that interests you, then see if you fit. You probably will, but there are too many variables for any of us to provide a definitive answer.

#14 ·
I used to have a GTV (new production), am 6' 0", and never had any problems. I did always have to have the seat right back as far as it would go though. Not saying I had a ton of headroom either but certainly wasnt banging my head on the roof. Go for it,,,you wont regret it!

#15 ·
Hi I have a 916 3.0 24V...

I think that the real problem comes not from headroom, but from the height of the windscreen as it is really shallow and low (kind of like if you're looking through a letterbox).

I've taken off the sunvisors which gives me a slightly better view (that's nearly an inch of windscreen gained).

The facelifted 916's (2003-2005) seats are a bit lower I believe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.