Alfa Romeo Forums banner

alfa romeo 156 problemos

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  clwyd 
#1 ·
Hi guys im a newboy! just got a dark blue alfa romeo 156 1.6 with cream leather its done 105k but its condition is superb. Im happy with how it drives looks and i know its a bit of an "old" mans car for a 21 year old but im happy.

Basically a few times ive tried starting it its not having it. It sounds like its sucking air? Ive had to turn it over about 5 times to get it started and other times its started first go! Any ideas what it could be?

Is it a known problem- big money fix? I was thinking fuel pump but only becuase i cant think of anything else it could be!

please help

regards ian

P.S this forum looks excellent!

#5 ·
Just a thought:

Is the engine turning over at all (or very slowly) when it refuses to start? After 5+ years, car batteries can exhibit all sorts of erratic behaviour and have dead or half dead cells. If the battery is a few years old, try replacing it (or cheaper: test with a different, newer one).

#8 ·
jamieandthemagi said:
it could be the TDC sensor
It's more likely to be the cam position sensor.

The ECU only uses the cam position sensor at start up to work out which way up the engine is - ie. whether the TDC of cylinder 1 is on the firing or exhaust stroke, Once it knows that, it just runs on the crank sensor.

If the cam sensor is on the blink it'll not start until it gets some sort of signal.

Mike.

#9 ·
Surely, it cannot keep being a control prob! The lad says it runs fine when going, if all these sensors were faulty, then surely it would run badly.

I remember years ago an old Hillman Avenger had a similar prob, and it was the flywheel ringear at fault.as the engine always seems to stop within 180degs of itself, it wears on these sides accordingly, and starting probs begin. Very easy fix, do the clutch n release bearing at same time.

Basically though unless we can see n hear it none of us can be sure.

#12 ·
iandaman said:
Im happy with how it drives looks and i know its a bit of an "old" mans car for a 21 year old but im happy.

P.S this forum looks excellent!
Old mans car??? I absolutely dissagree with you on that one. You have to be one of the most sensible 21 year olds out there for not driving around in plastic- nosed up-neon lightet japanese kind of car.

Regarding your technical question, I have no idea.

#13 ·
If I'm right the TDC sensor usually fails when the car is hot as the resistance of the sensor breaks sown with heat and this doesn't happen when the car is cold.

It's could be something stupid like the aerial for the immobilizer, common fault, happens to mine. I've gone to the car tried to start her turns over but will not fire, then noticed the CODE light on. The aerial is wrapped arround the ignition barrel and giving the plastic cover a bang or some times removing the covering ang "wiggling" the wires cures the fault. This fault also happens on the 147's as well I know as its happend to both my 156 and 147.

clwyd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.