Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Is there something wrong with me ? ..... 156 vs. 75/milano

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ssjbelg 
#1 ·
Is there something wrong with me ?

having sold my 75TS last July & replacing it with a 156 1.8 Lusso SportWagon I feel short changed & dissappointed.
I want a 75 back again, the 156 feels like a "White Good", the engine like that of a sewing machine, its gutless, torqueless & no fun. Though the brakes are good, the car does not inspire me with the confidence that the 75 did.
even on the daily trudge to work (7 miles of back roads & 20 miles of motorway) I miss the 75. Sure the 156 is easy to drive, & takes much less effort - I can also easily drive it long distances & the extra boot space is great.........but somehow it makes me feel empty. I cant even fiddle on it at weekends, because either the work is too complicated, or it doesnt need anything doing to it. I feel like I dont really care for it lie I should. I want to be passionate about it, like I am for Alfa Romeo generally. I see people on here & 156.net who love there 156's, but I cant find the love. 156.net has the tag line "the fun starts at 3500rpm"..........I'm hitting 5000rpm & still waiting.
It serves a purposes & does that well. However I sit here thinking........should I have spent £3500 on really really nice 75 (with money to spare) instead ?
Am I mad ?
Am I alone ?

See less See more
#2 ·
jamieandthemagi said:

its gutless, torqueless & no fun.
This is exactly what I thought of my 156 1.8ts untill I changed the MAF and Lambda probe.
I couldn't believe the difference that changing both could make.:)

Maybe you have an issue with the MAF or Lambda on your car, what is the mileage on yours at the mo?

clwyd

#3 ·
Well, the only "wrong" thing here is that you expected another 75 to materialise from your 156. Some day you have to stop thinking about your ex-girlfriend :D

They are two very different cars, but you should seriously get a checkup, lose the original exhaust and perhaps go for one of the aftermarket filter thingys. There's a lot more fun in a TS than what you describe here, but it can never ever be a 75.

#4 ·
Well, bucko look up at least you get to try new things while we only can keep the pre-1995 USA models motoring on. Mind you that is not a bad thing but it would be nice to at least test drive what came afterwards.

#5 ·
buy the supersprint exhaust collector 4-2-1 it gives a lot more ,torque at 3500 rpm i have it on my delta hpe(same engine) it's really nice and a squadra tuning ecu chip gives nice power curve

i have had a 75 1.6 and my dad the 3.0 version

transaxle and new alfa's are no way the same

but the twin spark 16v engines are quite nice to drive you have to hit the 7000 rpm but it runs smooth and has a very good torque curve

it's less dramatic then older models more refined
when i dirve our GTV6 and then our new GT jtd yes it's not same hehe

but the gtv6 never gets close to the GT and that's a diesel front wheel driver

as a daily driver the 156 as weekend or night racer de the 75 no doubt (in good condition)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.