Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Bringing a 159 to the US (California)?

19K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  loach1 
#1 ·
Has anyone shipped and converted a 159 into the US? Or considered it? What have you found? I'm in California (southern) and have fallen in love with the car.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hi Rwalker well I don't think that it will be so easy; first of all for alla the specs (lights etc.) that you need in the US and that the 159 isn't yet equipped. Then there is the pollution thing.
Actually there are plans to export the car toghether with the Brera back in the US using Maserati dealerships but not in short times.
I used to drive a couple of 159 both 2.2 and 3.2 petrol and 1.9/2.4 diesel believe me there's nothing special with it. A simply 156 2.0 Twin Spark with 150bhps will outperform the 2.2 JTS unit, and the 3.2 JTS has none of the qualities of the old "Busso" unit that all we love specially for the sound it made.

#8 ·
You live in Southern California: why not take a trip across the border to visit an Alfa dealer in Mexico? Alfa Romeo officially came back into the Mexican market in 2004, and has been selling a steady (if small) stream of cars there. Someone told me they saw a mexican-registered Coupe GT 3.2 V6 in San Diego, it quickly attracted a small crowd of curious fans!

Check out what the bi-lateral agreements with Mexico and the US are: you may even manage to import an Alfa into the US legally if it comes from Mexico.

#9 ·
Maybe register the car in Mexico if you have connections? Any idea what registration costs are in Mexico? Taxes? Considering the value of the Peso against the American Dollar, the purchase may not be a bad deal. :)
Where are the dealers?

#13 ·
If you want a newer Alfa to be US legal, you must wait until the car is 25 years old. Most states require federal forms stating that the import is in compliance. I can't suggest any way around these hurdles.

#14 ·
I think that you should wait for the legal importation of Alfa Romeos into the United States. I have driven only Alfas since 1968 and have owned 11 Alfas. I have probably driven close to 500,000 miles with my cars and will wait for legal cars. I told myself that if Alfa Romeo does not import any cars in the future, I will buy a used Ferrari 360 Modena or 512 Testarossa. I just do not like to purchase repair parts from Italy for a daily driver.

#15 ·
kens is right - minimum of 25 years to import with ease. If you are loaded, you can use a registered importer to make the necessary changes to make it legal now. The changes are for safety and emissions and can be very complex. You'd be amazed how specific US laws are on how a car should be constructed for sale in the USA. Figure on spending the same on modifications as you would on the new car and you may be close.

A car for off-road use is legal, but cannot be registered in any state. A car for parts is legal, but make sure the drivetrain is missing when it shows up on the dock. Foreign residents can import a car for up to 12 months but it must be re-exported and requires a bond to be posted with Customs while it's in the country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.