Alfa Romeo Forums banner

New Keys and/or ECU

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kens 
#1 ·
Hi there guys,

I've been offered a 1.6 lusso 147. But it's a repo car without keys!! It is very very cheap hence why i'm considering buying it.

My question is: Is it possible to get new keys cut and programmed, even though I won't have the original 'master' key. Or will I have to get a new ecu with keys from a breaker?

Cheers in advance

#2 ·
Hi,

Car keys sold from AR are blank. You need to have them programmed at an authorised AR dealer who has the appropriate software/hardware. This can be done if and only if you have in hand the immobiliser code given to the owner. This code is printed on a plastic card along with the codes for the radio/cd unit and it is stored in the key after the programming process is over.

New production cars actually start, when the key has checked the identity of itself and the car's ECU. For this reason if the battery of the key is low on voltage then you probably can't fire up the car as the key can't transmit to the ECU and make the verification.

In case you don't have the code then sure things are getting complex and you will need a lot of patience to overcome the bureaucracy that this procedure requires.

Hope this helps,

#4 ·
Hi,

This can be possibly done provided you have the complete set of ECU, related stuff and keys.But you can't do much if you don't have the codes for the key and radio. Don't having the codes means trouble sooner or later ... will the breakers guy provide the codes to you ?

AR dealer has the means to verify the correct match of the codes to the vehicle ... so be careful with such jobs.

Regards,

#5 ·
As long as it is a repossessed car, getting new keys should not be TOO difficult. If you can document that you actually own the 147 and that it was legally bought without keys, the bureacracy shouldn't rear its head too much...

The best tip I can give you is checking with the local Alfa Romeo dealer and explain the situation. Do not let a cheap 147 slip between your fingers if the missing keys is the only problem.

#6 ·
I understand that a company that Squadra-Tuning knows can take the ECU and reprogram the chip so that the immobilizer does not function. A locksmith can make up a set of keys from a door lock. This method would take less effort and time than replacing all the locks with a matching immobilizer box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.