Alfa Romeo Forums banner

PLEASE HELP with coolant and air con fans

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  stallon 
#1 ·
Anyone with a 156 with air con can you please have a look to see if you have two fans (one for coolant and one for air con).

Bought a 156 2.0 last year which had been in a O/S/F smash and been repaired......

However noticed that the fan was running at full speed all the time. When I looked into this noticed that the wiring had been bodged to make the fan run like this. I figured at the time that some expensive component had gone and a quick fix had been put in place. I lived with it for a year without any problems.

The noise of the fan was quite loud so when I was having a routine service and cam belt change I asked them to sort out the fan/wiring. Had a new relay fitted and the wiring sorted and everything worked fine.......

Until the air-con blew a hose. Took it to get the hose replaced and a air-con service and they said that :-

"the pressure is getting too high because it is getting too hot and there should be two fans where mine only has one"

I believe that following the smash whoever had it repaired used a fan from an alfa which didn't have air-con (single fan) and to compensate rigged the fan to run at full speed constantly.

All this happened during the hottest July on record!!!

I just want confirmation that it should have 2 fans and any suggestions where I could get the right one from or what I can do.

I'm currently running it with fan constantly on at full speed again so that I can use air-con, at least until the temperature drops.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.