Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa 147 wheels on a 75 TwinSpark

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  azzaob 
#1 ·
Dear all

I have just bought some 15" Borbet alloy wheels to replace the steel wheels on a 1990 75 TwinSpark. The Borbet alloys were originally fitted to a 2003 147, so I am wondering about the centre-bore measurement, is it 58mm or 58.1mm on the 147?

I have found conflicting information about the centre bore measurements for 147s and need to know how much to have taken off the alloys to fit the 58.5mm centre bore measurement of my 75.

Am I also correct in thinking that the correct offset for the alloys on a 147 is 30mm????

Any help would be appreciated :)

Aaron

#2 ·
G'Day Aaron,

I just fitted some wheels off a later Alfa (not sure what) to my 75 so let's see if I can help.

The offset may be cast on the inside of the wheel somewhere.

I bored mine out myself using a sanding thingy I bought at an industrial bolt shop for A$5.00 (see pic) mounted on a battery drill. It's 60mm diameter but squeezes in the bore and is then self centering.

I cut a piece of tin which just fitted in the bore of the old wheels and used it as a guage to check the new wheels with, the final check being the fit on the car (check front and rear).

It only took a couple of minutes per wheel and gave a perfect fit.

As the 'thingy' wears with use, buying two 60 grit 'thingys' would have been better.

And re-do the bevel on the edge with a file.

Attachments

#4 ·
Hi Jess

Yep the ones with one scratched/curbed rim...really anything has to be better than the steel wheels I have at the moment.

I'm in Titirangi.

All the best, Aaron

Also, thanks Craig for the advice re. widening the alloys :))

#5 ·
azzaob said:
Dear all

I have just bought some 15" Borbet alloy wheels to replace the steel wheels on a 1990 75 TwinSpark. The Borbet alloys were originally fitted to a 2003 147, so I am wondering about the centre-bore measurement, is it 58mm or 58.1mm on the 147?

I have found conflicting information about the centre bore measurements for 147s and need to know how much to have taken off the alloys to fit the 58.5mm centre bore measurement of my 75.

Am I also correct in thinking that the correct offset for the alloys on a 147 is 30mm????

Any help would be appreciated :)

Aaron
depending on wheel manufacturer, i have read centrebore spec of 58mm, 58.1mm and one even quote 58.06mm. from BBS catalogue, they state 58mm for FIAT and 58.5mm for ALFA ROMEO, so 147 falls under FIAT range.

the offset of original 147 wheels is around 40-41mm depending on wheel design. 75 runs standard 30mm offset.

#6 ·
Hi

Thanks for that. I bought them home and they have a plasticy/hard rubber spacer inside the centre bore of the ally taking it down from 90mm to 58.1 so luckily it's a great deal easier taking 0.4mm off the plastic spacer than alloy.

Thanks for your reply, you have an interesting "past" with front-wheel Alfas, what made you switch to rear-wheel drive and the 75?...I probably know the answer already but just curious :)

I had a 1989 3L V6 manual 164 not long ago. It was a lovely car but the torque-steer on bumpy/unevern surfaces or the wet eventually got to much for me and it was back to rear-wheel drive. They are supposed to have solved the torque steer problems in later models, i.e. QVs and Supers by dropping the engine 40mm, but I'd guess the issue would still be there.

All the best, Aaron

#7 ·
Since we have a critical mass of Kiwi's here, sorry if I steal this topic!

Is there a local Alfa chatboard or mailing list? Compared to the Japanese brands I have been involved with there is not a great web presense for Alfa's in NZ. AROCNZ seems to provide little.

#8 · (Edited)
No there isn't, this is it really I think.

BTW A new 2.5 75 has just gone up on TradeMe this morning - 200 odd ks, 1987 year, but looks quite tidy.

Richard [NZAlfa75] - how is the 75 going now that the new engine is in there??

Regards, Aaron

#9 ·
Very good. It's had two runs now and done 80km. Did first oil change on weekend and filled it with antifreeze. PLans are to finish painting my spare camshaft cover and retorque the head. Will also install the new towbar and get the exhaust welded where I had to cut through it.

Once this is done off for a warrant.

Richard

#10 ·
I used a router bit with a roller bearing similar to the one pictured. They are a common item at most tool retailers. I purchased a kit with different shaped bits and different sized bearings. You can adjust the shape, diameter and depth of the cut. Be sure to get carbide bits. They cut thru soft aluminum very easily. I have used the same bits on various hard woods that were much harder to cut than the aluminum.

#12 ·
NZAlfa75 said:
Very good. It's had two runs now and done 80km. Did first oil change on weekend and filled it with antifreeze. PLans are to finish painting my spare camshaft cover and retorque the head. Will also install the new towbar and get the exhaust welded where I had to cut through it.

Once this is done off for a warrant.

Richard

Hi Richard

I have a few spares around from a 1.8 75 a friend wrecked which may/may not be of use in the future.

My number is 817 5502 if you need something, hopefully I can help - of course there are differences with the TS but you never know.

Regards, Aaron

#14 ·
azzaob said:
Hi

Thanks for that. I bought them home and they have a plasticy/hard rubber spacer inside the centre bore of the ally taking it down from 90mm to 58.1 so luckily it's a great deal easier taking 0.4mm off the plastic spacer than alloy.

Thanks for your reply, you have an interesting "past" with front-wheel Alfas, what made you switch to rear-wheel drive and the 75?...I probably know the answer already but just curious :)

I had a 1989 3L V6 manual 164 not long ago. It was a lovely car but the torque-steer on bumpy/unevern surfaces or the wet eventually got to much for me and it was back to rear-wheel drive. They are supposed to have solved the torque steer problems in later models, i.e. QVs and Supers by dropping the engine 40mm, but I'd guess the issue would still be there.

All the best, Aaron

sorry i seldom come into the forum.

switched to the 75 cuz thats the way a real alfa romeo should be, rwd, better balanced and handling compared to the newer ones. rwd, 50/50, lsd, 4 doors, sit 5, nice boot, enough power, no electronic driver aids, just a wonderful 'basic' rwd car, whats not to love about the 75?!

the newer cars have much better NVH, are very easy to drive, pretty no brainer drive. although they are all good cars (all alfa are good cars!) but if i ever want to learn how to drive a real car properly, rwd is the way to go. with the 75 i dont have to drive fast to enjoy, i hear the engine, i feel the road, i smell the exhaust ........

for a similar kind of car, similar year, BMW is boring, porsche not practical, mercedes is for old man, japanese car no soul.

of the fwd alfas, i can never forget the 33 boxer experience and dont mind owning one again, but not the 146 and 156 .....

#15 ·
" with the 75 i dont have to drive fast to enjoy, i hear the engine, i feel the road, i smell the exhaust ........"

Totally agree, here in NZ we are bombarded with a forceful government anti-speed campaign blaming most of the world's woes on excessive speed... so having a car that's fun to drive slowly/moderately is essential.

RWD/FWD, apart from the 164 all my other Alfas have been RWD but I am seriously thinking of getting an SUd Sprint around Xmas time if I can find a good later model version.

Regards, Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.