Alfa Romeo Forums banner

147: Oil Leaks

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TQC-028 
#1 ·
Hello to all,
I have been looking to purchase a 2002 model AR147, 90,000kms, manual transmission and just recently took it in for an extensive vehicle inspection. The results showed the vehicle was in average condition - a problem with the headlight adjustment and noises from the timing cover area, but most notably: oil leaks at the gearbox and all around the engine sump plug. I was wondering whether any other Alfa owners (not just 147) have encountered such a problem? Also, whether or not this is a somewhat regular thing for AR147's? And most importantly, before I go ahead with further investigation, can anyone give me an approximation/educated assumption to perhaps the root of this problem or the costs involved with reparation?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Is the oil around the gearbox an actual leak, or is it just oil in that area? Does it form a pool overnight? A gear box sweating oil is not uncommon and is not particular to Alfas. The leaks around the sump plug is likely due to the mechanics not bothering to replace the copper washer around the plug when changing oil. The washer is there for a reason, but a lot of DIY-types never bother to replace (or anneal) it, so every time the oil's changed, the washer flattens more and more.

The noise from the timing cover area could be a failing cam variator. While it makes an annoying "pinking" noise, it's safe to drive with. A cam variator costs about EUR 100 plus labour to change. That is not a price quote :)

The latter is a regular issue with 16V Twinsparks.

#6 ·
Alfa recommends cam belt change at 60,000km. (Cant remember the recommended time though.) But make double sure everything was changed, not only the belt but all the extra bits as well. A reputable alfa dealer should be able to track the cars history by the VIN unless I am mistaken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.