Alfa Romeo Forums banner

147 engine chip

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Hoygaard 
#1 ·
been offered an engine chip that will increase bp by 20!

just thought that i would ask on here and see if anyone has done the same and if it was any good.

The dealers said that it will nulify my engine warrenty if anything goes wrong.

Anyone done the same and had any problems???

#2 ·
In most cases, chipping or remapping isnt traceable. Dont worry to much about it and have it done. However, 20 Bhp increase is stretching it a bit for a remap. A meagre 8 Bhp gain is all you can expect, tops. Driveabilty will probably be much better tho'

Cheers

Hoygaard

#4 ·
first things first: Chipping or remapping is essentially the same. The ECU of your car holds a set of fuel and timing maps. These rely on a number of factors I.E airpressure, temperature, engine temperature, engine load and so on. These maps are pre defined for safe operation. They can be altered for better fuel economy, better driveabilty, or more power. Often the the two last options go hand in hand.

The way this is done is either by opening the ECU and replacing the ROM unit, or; on newer cars, hook up a PC, and alter the content of the ECU.

If this is done in the right way, IE, no checksum errors, the workshop cant tell any difference, but you would have gained a few extra horses and a more sleak/vivid throttle response. Without compromising your warranty.

Hope this helps, or else, feel free to email me at ; Alfanatic@hoygaard.com

Cheers

Hoygaard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.