Alfa Romeo Forums banner

156 2.4 Jtd Wastegate

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  87Sprint 
#1 ·
Been told by my local alfa dealership that my wastegate has seized which is a common problem and my car needs a new turbo:eek:
Have i got any other options:confused:

thanks in advance

paul.

#2 ·
paullthm said:
Been told by my local alfa dealership that my wastegate has seized which is a common problem and my car needs a new turbo:eek:
Have i got any other options:confused:

thanks in advance

paul.
well if your wastegate has seized theres no reason it couldnt be replaced by an aftermarket one that is suitable. did they explain why the turbo needs replacing? theyre are many places that will recondition turbos - prob for less than a genuine replacement

#3 ·
No they didnt explain much in fact for an alfa garage they are a bunch of cowboys, it took them 3 weeks to figure out why it wouldnt start because the diagnostic comp wouldnt tell them, it was a faulty diesel pump.
then they said its going but it has no boost, it ran fine before the pump went (now replaced). So they told me it needed a complete new turbo and i said wasnt it more likely to be the wastegate or actuator problem which they then agreed was the probable cause:(

#4 ·
hmm by the sounds of it you might be better of getting a second opinion... theres nothing worse than not being comfortable with the place servicing your car - and i have never had good service from a large service place (esp dealers). try a small euro place that also services other modern diesels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.