Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Immobilizer Failure!! Heads Up

48K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Erik 
#1 ·
Just a heads up for anybody with a 147/156

The other night the 147 would not start and on the info display it had immobilizer failure. Managed to get the car started and home using the emergency engine code.

Thinking that the Immobilizer was buggered abd worried that it was going to cost £££ I postrd the problem on one of the other sites.

Got a reply in a couple of minutes the solution :-

Take the covers off from arround the ignition barrel and you will see wires going in for the receiver (aerial) for the transponder from the key give them a wiggle and clean the connector and the car started ok.:) :)

#2 ·
hi, unfortunately i'm having the exact problem with my 147 right now and it's so annoying! Could you please expand a bit more on how to go about this pretty plzzz!

I'm not really sure which wire is for wht or where it goes and from where lol are the wires colour coded or something like that?

thanks for your assistance.

#3 ·
Hi Lumbax
When you take the covers off from arround the steering column have a look at thee ignition barrel, arround this there is a black plastic cover, this is the aerial for the immobilizer. At one point you will on this cover you will see a small electricall connector which only has 2 wires in it, this is the plug that I undid ant then re-connected, after that the car started.

Hope this helps.

Clwyd

#7 ·
Alfa 147 1.6 Tspark Immobiliser Fault displayed

Hi all.

I have just had the same problem after my Alfa 147 1.6 tspark had been standing on the drive 2 months and the inevitable low/flat battery.
It bump started in reverse down the drive, great I thought, and on to the garage I went, to have rear discs and pads fitted.
Once the work was complete the garage informed me of the above fault being displayed on the dash. They hooked up the diagnostic, cleared the fault, then it would re-appear when trying to start the engine.
We had jump leads connected to the battery for that extra assistance, but still no joy with the displayed fault.
I then read in another forum that another way to resolve this problem is to remove the negative terminal of the battery for approx 15 mins, and this will clear the memory in the ECU hence removing the alleged fault.
I probably left the negative terminal off for about an hour, and once re-attached, BINGO, the car started up first time.
Hope this helps out fellow Alfa owners as this seems an inherant pain in the backside, but easily rectified when you do the above. Happy motoring.

#9 ·
The same should apply to the 2 ltr and other versions.
When new the 147/156 was supplied with at key code card. In the manual is an explanation on how to start engine when the code isn't received by the code pod. Something about stepping on the accelerator pedal the number of times of each of the figures in the code with a pause between each figure (10 seconds if memory serves me right).
Erik

#10 ·
Another tip. The car will never start until the key icon shows that it is happy/off. I switch the key on and off a few times until the icon clears. Mine has been difficult at times for years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.