Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Another problem

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  andy1805 
#1 ·
I have a 2000(w) 156 2.5 v6 and it is an outstanding car however recently i have been travelling a lot and the car appears to not like it.
On the first occasion driving in heavy rain i tried to accelerate and the car felt like it was going to stall but it didnt about a mile further down the road it just stopped... then it would start but just cut out again straight away about 20 minutes later it started fine and i continued the journey. On the second occasion it did the same thing except i dropped agear and continued driving and it didnt cut out (the rain was quite heavy on this occasion too).

then when i stopped at traffic lights it just stopped but it started again no problem and i got home the next day it did the same thing when i stopped at a junction. Since then it hasnt cut out again but i am left with a car that when stopping the revs fluctuate from 0 to 1 a couple of times before settling out where it should be. I took it to the garage who hooked it up to his machine and came back saying he couldnt find anything wrong... Please please help anyone as i am going away again in 1 week and i dont want to break down in the outside lane of the M6 motorway again.

any help is much appreciated
Thanx Andy

See less See more
#4 ·
On the right hand side of the engine bay you'll see a large black pipe going down to the air filter box (square box). As you travel down the pipe towards the box you will see a piece protruding out with a cable attached. This is your maf. to unplug the maf there is a clip which needs to be pushed in, I used a flat head screwdriver. Unplug, then take her for a drive. Don't push her hard, not clear what the result might be. But if your car runs better, not stalling etc, then this is the likely solution. As far as I know you can pick up an alfa origonal for £70 - 90 (Bosch). Can point you to where. Having had some work on it (Service) you could try an ecu and throttle reset. Dead simple and cost nothing except some fuel.

#9 ·
Hi,

The air filter box in 147 and 156 is located in the lower part of the engine bay, more or less below the LHD headlight. However, there is a plastic pipe from the air filter box that goes towards the left fender and the pipe's end "hides" between the plastic wheelarch cover and the fender.

It is unlikely for water to get inside the airfilter box via the pipe. However a quick look to the air filter box will solve your questions; do so in order to check if any clamp is missing or the plastic tube has cracks or damage and water possibly gets in.

Regards,

#10 · (Edited)
hi all
I tried the throttle reset and it had no effect whatsoever :( so now im left with a car that nearly cuts out every time i come to a stop (revs go right down to 0 the back up ) as for the cutting out on the motorway i guess ill have to see if it does it again.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

regards andy

Just tried the throttle reset again and it has actually made it worse the car now cuts out everytime i stop at junctions / traffic lights etc..
please anyone have any other ideas... the garage said it could be the throttle body but didnt want to get the part at 400 pounds just in case it was something else... is this a possibility???

regards

andy

#11 ·
still got the problem

hi
I disconnected the maf yesterday to see if that was the problem and it made no difference so im assuming that isnt my problem... anyone got any other ideas.. i recieved a throttle body off e-bay today ill have a look to see how easy it is to swap over...

Any help would be grateful

regards andy

#12 ·
check that the clamps holding the air intake pipe between the MAF and intake manifold are reasonably tight, also check that any vacuum lines are tight.
Another thing, a leaky seal in the oil cap or oil dipstick may cause a vacuum leak as well, causing similar symptoms. Don't ask me how I know about that one - it still hurts to think about it.

#14 ·
here's an idea to test it: With the engine idling, take the cap off & note whether there is a change in idle speed/smoothness. Then, cover the hole with the palm of your hand & note whether it's changed. If the idle speed drops when you take the cap off, chances are it'll be ok. If there doesn't seem to be a change when the cap is removed but it changes when you put your palm over the hole, then it can be assumed that the cap is no good. If there doesn't seem to be a change doing either, then i'd be looking elsewhere for a vacuum leak.

Good luck.

#16 ·
Quite possibly - the 164's are plagued with the intake hose splitting, so i'm not at all suprised if that turns out to be it - has it split all the way through to the inside of the pipe? If so, then it's most likely the cause of your problem. Try a little bit of rubber adhesive to hold it together with some electrical tape wrapped around it for added support until you can get a replacement.

#17 ·
partly solved at last

Right here goes the cutting out dead on the motorway has gone ... it would appear that this was a problem with the fuel cap.. nothing to do with bad weather. but pressure problem in the fuel tank due to a faulty fuel cap. (upon further investigation into the cutting out i realised that every time it did it i had a half tank of fuel or less). Who would have guessed it any way a new petrol cap solved it.
The under revving and cutting out problem is a little better i think... well it doesnt cut out anymore..
I changed the throttle body and found a split in the intake hose which has been taped up until i can get a new one.. now sometimes it under revs and sometimes it over revs.. I tried a throttle reset but it didnt work but at least it doesnt cut out every time i stop...

Any other ideas / help would be much appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.