Alfa Romeo Forums banner

looking for advice on buying a GTV

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Hans 
#1 ·
I am in need of a new car and am thinking of either a GTV or fiat coupe.

This isnt the place for a fiat discussion but i dont know a huge amount about the GTV.

A close friend had a 2000 1.8 156ts and sad to say it was a about as reliable as a brtish rail timetable! its made me a little cautious as i commute 90 miles a day.

Any particular things to look out for? I would do the obvious things like pay more to get lower mileage and FSH is a must i know. If i could stretch the cash is a V6 better? I know cam belt changes on all models is critical and are pretty costly. anything else?

cheers for any advice.

#3 ·
Where do you live?
I would go for a Fiat coupe 20v turbo.

#5 ·
I can tell you that GTV has a mediocre built quality and some electrical problems.But is a very handsome car with great performance as a V6 (2 lit. turbo or 3 lit.aspirated)
Fiat coupe -believe it or not- has a better built quality and has greater performance(especially as 5cyl. turbo).
I 'll check my archives and i will post you a more specific reply on both cars.

#7 ·
I am refering to the first series GTV (i don't know much about the FL models).
I can tell you that belt changing (specially on Fiat coupe 5 cyl. is very expensive).As i said you before i 'll post you more details.

#8 ·
Hi havoc!
As i never owned one of these cars,all my informations are sourced from private discussions with fellow members of the HellenicAROC,various Alfa & Fiat owners fora and the press (specially from AutoItalia's tests and buyer's guides).
Starting with the GTV, i will refer only to the 2lit and 3-3,2 lit models,which were oficially imported in Britain.The big V6 us a very reliable,higly developed unit and is regarded by the motor press and alfisti as being the best V6 ever produced,in terms of performance and magnificent sound.Its large capacity and high insurance rating guarantees that 3,0GTV is unlikely to have been used as rep's wheels.It has high fuel costs and belt replacement at the prescribed intervals is essential (every 72.000 miles with charges from 75 to 47 pounds per hour.And an official dealer needs 7 hours for this work)Most 3 lit cars are fitted with a 5 speed gearbox but later cars also offered a 6speed unit.This is irrelevant with such a powerful engine and is a disadvantage in practical use (if you are cruising in 6th and an overtaking opportunity arises then it may be necessary to miss out 5th and select 4th gear to find the power band of the high revving 24valve engine).From reliability point of view 2 lit TS engines suffered from some inconsistency.Heavy oil consumption was an issue that led to premature crankshaft wear and mechanical failure.The new JTS engines have solved any reliability issues according to Alfa Romeo.Cambelt changings should be carried out sooner than later.Seized cambelt tensioners are common, causing the belt to slip and resulting in valve damage.A worn variator,which automatically alters the valve timing, will cause a rattle on cold start-up.This is a common fault.Although alarming the defect doesn't appear to have effect on engine performance or to result in mechanical damage.GTVs are well balanced cars with sophisticated suspension but handling efficiency can be affected by wear.Any incosistency in the steering or creaks and groans from any area should be viewed with suspicion.Any "kangarooing" under low speed running will probably be due to worn engine mountings.Early GTVs with high mileages is not a problem on either version, if a comprehensive service history is provided.Lighter than the 3lit. the 2lit engine thrives on revs and provides a well-balanced,sporting ride with sharp handling.
Gearboxes and transmissions are generally reliable.Wear will be the result of high mileage or abuse.This may manifest itself in the form of notchy 3rd gear synchro or a worn out clutch.
Alloy wheels should be inspected for curbing, which is evidence on how well the car has been treated.
The serious problem with 3lit. car is the alarming wear rate on the front brakes.With such a nose heavy powerful carthe front discs take a hammering and unless the driver balances his braking with use of the gearbox, the discs sooner or later will warp and judder.Everybody suggests after market products,which are more adequate than the originals and sometimes cheaper.Rear suspension's set up is sensitive to worn dampersand bushes.Any incosistency in steering will be probably be caused by worn or split bushes in the front suspension lower wishbones.
Elecric faults (not very common) will probably have been rectified when the car was new.The fuse box that carries a multitude of fuses should be checked in order to be sure that fuse ratings are correct according to the handboook.
No rust problems.Bonnets are plastic and can fade at a different rate to the steel body panels.Dark colours often show up body defects.
Attention to the keys.A full set of keys , including the code key, should accompany a clean and goodlooking car.If not ,any subsequent ECU fault may prove difficult to rectify.
Although i love GTV's shape and Arese's V6 engine, i would go for the 20V turbo Fiat Coupe.It's four seater with big boot,has greater performance, and is cheaper than the GTV and in my opinion is the classic performance car of the future.
Hope that helps you.As i noticed that you intend to cover 90 miles per day, wouldn't be clever to add to your list a 1,9 16V multijet engined car?Be it 147 or GT?GTV and Fiat coupe are great cars but they are also serious oil burners.Good luck.

#9 ·
behind in the states

Havoc;

We are behind in the states, as Alfa pulled out in the nineties. Our last series of experience with Alfas included (in sequence) the venerable electronically injected Spider, the '80s era GTV6 and the '90s era 164. The long term ownership of these cars suggests that build quality excepting motor, lacks in finish. It seems from the BBs that owner complaints veer toward the gross expense of repairs with the newer 164s. A fellow can practically rebuild as new an '80s GTV6 (pending a good body) for 10k. Unless something has changed substantially, newer Alfas do not seem to age well, unless stabled with the utmost care and continuous incremental expense. There seems to be a continued interest in rebuilding the older models, as relatively cheap, mechanically refined exotics.

Best of luck

Mike Pate

#11 ·
You can try www.sportsalfa.com for some reviews and more specific info on the GTV / Spider. There is also a buyers guide which should help you. Sorry if I offend anyone by posting another forum but I believe it may have relevant information for havoc.

I have driven a 3.0L V6 for over two years and nothing much has gone wrong. No electrical problems (touch wood) and mainly just wear and tear replacement of items you would expect on an eight year old car with 100,000km on the clock.

Mainly need to check service history, belts (you already know), bushes in the suspension, shock absorbers (rear ones tend to die after 60 to 80km), scrapes on the underside behind the rear wheels (cars are low standard and speed humps are the enemy), brakes (just a general check on thickness on disc and pads). Noisy power steering. Basically the usual things you check when buying any 2nd hand car.

Happy hunting either way, the Fiat although controversial looking can be made to go like the clappers more easily than the GTV and has a more usable boot. Check out Issue 117 of Auto Italia, one of the staffers has had a Fiat Turbo since 1999.

Cheers

#12 ·
IGTVI said:
You can try www.sportsalfa.com for some reviews and more specific info on the GTV / Spider. There is also a buyers guide which should help you. Sorry if I offend anyone by posting another forum but I believe it may have relevant information for havoc.
Cheers
Not a problem with us.....the more exchange between forums the better. See also alfagtv6.com as well for good info.

Mike Pate

#13 ·
havoc said:
..The total disaster stories i have heard about 156, 147 and 166 Alfas is making me look at more fiats than Alfas.
I have to admit Alfas have some weak points, but in general they are good cars. I own a 2001 156 as a daily car and she is really great fun. During the last 12 months the only part that failed was the TDC sensor. Setting me back a whopping € 86. Can't say that is expensive :D Some critics may say the TDC sensor shouldn't fail on a five year old car, but she has already done 230,000 kms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.