Alfa Romeo Forums banner

ASR, EBD and ABS errors

19K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  pepperorsalt 
#1 ·
Hello Guys! :eek:

Mine's a 2003 147 1.6Litre and recently, ASR, EBD and ABS errors kept popping up during start-up of engine and even my workshop service center is not able to solve it for me! :( :( :(
They claimed it's the ABS sensor faulty, so they changed it and shortly after, the errors are back again (and I'm charged USD150 for it! So now arranging for a refund from them..).
Although, after changing to a new sensor, the errors do not appear all the time but it does comes up now and then.
Any sugguestion, ideas of what I can do? :confused:

Thank you all!

#2 ·
First of all, they shouldn't charge you for that, as you know. I assume your warranty is still good.

I've had the air bag error due to a loose wire. I've had the ASR, EBD and ABS all at once when my alternator was dying, but the car still ran fine and started.

I would suggest you note when this happens and try to correlate it with something else and make them fix it. I know this is hard. I have small things here and there but they usually go away on their own....

What country are you in?

#3 ·
147GTA said:
First of all, they shouldn't charge you for that, as you know. I assume your warranty is still good.

I've had the air bag error due to a loose wire. I've had the ASR, EBD and ABS all at once when my alternator was dying, but the car still ran fine and started.

I would suggest you note when this happens and try to correlate it with something else and make them fix it. I know this is hard. I have small things here and there but they usually go away on their own....

What country are you in?
You happen to be Andrew? I go by meltan in alfa sg forum :)
Well they gave me alot of bull by saying that the wires were tucked and shifted while my Bilstein shocks were installed (which i admited that I installed it elsewhere). But I couldnt for the life of me fathom that could affect the wires specific routing... but there's no way I could prove or say otherwise except to take their claims lying down.

My warranty still good...but with services like tat..doesnt make a diff. At that moment i just wanted the problem resolved so I dun really mind that much about the $$.

#4 ·
Yeah this is Andrew. Good to see you here.

I can't help you on this one....except to say maybe you should write a letter to Melvin.

But the fact that some wires were moved when you got your Bilstiens installed isn't something THEY can prove, and YOU are the customer....good luck.

#5 ·
147GTA said:
Yeah this is Andrew. Good to see you here.

I can't help you on this one....except to say maybe you should write a letter to Melvin.

But the fact that some wires were moved when you got your Bilstiens installed isn't something THEY can prove, and YOU are the customer....good luck.
Had given the new GM a peice of my mind coz they charged me another $40 for reinstallation :confused: F*#king Sh*t.
Anyway, couple of us had written to Melvin but none of us ever, ever hear a squeak back from them.. so we reckon it's like tat in the management there.. no point.

#6 ·
I have re-occuring problems with ASR, EBD, ABS failure all coming up on start up, but also sometimes just randomly whilst driving. Last time it went in for service they said 'it's probably just the brake reset switch'. When I got it back got no errors for about six week and now there back....but very intermittenly and it's difficult to tie down when it is.

Will go through a period of a week or so and it won't happen at all, but then solidly for a long period.

Read quite a bit about how to do an ECU reset, is this related?

I have a 2000 (X) 1.6 TS Lusso.

#7 ·
genie said:
I have re-occuring problems with ASR, EBD, ABS failure all coming up on start up, but also sometimes just randomly whilst driving. Last time it went in for service they said 'it's probably just the brake reset switch'. When I got it back got no errors for about six week and now there back....but very intermittenly and it's difficult to tie down when it is.

Will go through a period of a week or so and it won't happen at all, but then solidly for a long period.

Read quite a bit about how to do an ECU reset, is this related?

I have a 2000 (X) 1.6 TS Lusso.
Maybe you might wanna get them to test the sensor cable (long black rubber cable that runs from your body ECU to the front bonnet) to see if there's reading. For my case, the reading reflected on the test meter reports weak signal, that's why i've got intermitten errors popping up. After changing to a new one and deleted the errors report in the body ECU, the errors stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.