Alfa Romeo Forums banner

GTV Unexpected seat recline

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  ossodiseppia 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a T reg (03/1999) GTV LUSSO V6 24V COUPE 2959cc MANUAL and have a problem with the drivers seat. Under normal driving conditions it is OK, but if you push back on it a little harder it reclines unexpectedly. Not the safest feature when traveling at speed. I have taken the seat out to investigate but cannot see anyway to get in to the mechanism without destroying the leather. Is it possible to repair or do I need to buy a new seat?
Thanks
Mick

#3 ·
Seat pictures

Here are some pictures. The seat has a lever, not a wheel. I have taken the seat out to investigate but cannot see any way to get in to the mechanism without removing the leather. i don't mind mechanics but I can't do upholstery!
The problem is when I lean back on the seat a little harder, when reaching into my pocket when driving or getting out of the car. It feels like the teeth on the ratchet have become rounded and it just jumps out, but I cannot get in to it to see.
I am assuming that these are the original seats, but it is possible that they were changed by a previous owner.

Mick

Attachments

#4 ·
mick said:
Here are some pictures. The seat has a lever, not a wheel. I have taken the seat out to investigate but cannot see any way to get in to the mechanism without removing the leather. i don't mind mechanics but I can't do upholstery!
The problem is when I lean back on the seat a little harder, when reaching into my pocket when driving or getting out of the car. It feels like the teeth on the ratchet have become rounded and it just jumps out, but I cannot get in to it to see.
I am assuming that these are the original seats, but it is possible that they were changed by a previous owner.

Mick
I'll bet that's a cover over the lever. The mechanism looks to be in a spot where removal of the upholstery isn't necessary. It even looks like there is a removeable cover on the lever mechanism.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.