Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa 147 JTD

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  multijet 
#1 ·
Do any of you fine folks out there happen to own a 147 JTD? I am curious as to what your honest opinions are of that engine. As most of you know, we have not been able to get a new Alfa over here in the States since 1995, so my only chance to drive the newer models is when I get over to Europe (A 146 and a 156 have been previous rentals, both fine cars).

Anyway, we just got back from two weeks in Spain, and our rental car was the aforementioned 147 JTD for a week until a CV joint failed, at which time it was replaced with a Peugeot 307 HDI. I am sorry to say, but I found the Peugeot to be the superior driving experience (heresy I know). I drove both on all sorts of roads, motorway to winding mountain ones, and the Peugeot simply had a more responsive and smoother engine, despite giving away 0.3 litres. The Peugeot felt like a gasoline car, while the Alfa felt like driving an anchor through treacle. Something about an Alfa engine that redlines at 4500 rpm is just wrong.

I would say the handling of the two cars was comparable, and the Alfa won as far as the shifter action went, and certainly in the style stakes. So, did I just have a duff rental Alfa, or is the JTD really such a soggy engine?

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair

See less See more
#2 ·
There must have been something wrong with your rental 147 if the Peugeot was the more lively one. The JTDs from Fiat and the TDIs from the VW group are the best diesels out there and way ahead of the competition.

The 1.9 JTD is very powerful for such a small engine. The 307 diesel produces 90 bhp where the 147 JTD produces 120 bhp (+33%) or 150 bhp (+66%).

#3 ·
alfa JTD

reference your veiw on the alfa 147 jtd you compared with the gone wrong mpv peugeot 307 diesel you cant even rate them in the same league the alfa is so far ahead in turms of performance an build you would think you were living in the cave man days with the pug i work with peugeot cars mending them daily and in my opinion its rubbish and ther diesels are miles behind in performance and economy i own an ALFA JTD 16v Multijet 140bhp and stacks of torque its only done 14000 miles so its still a bit tight but can't wait until it loosens up it flies revs to the red so easy so you must of had a badly treated one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.