Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Popped my Alfa Cherry - question on power of 156

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  pricobelli 
#1 ·
Howdy,

Finally popped my Alfa cherry - yay. My Bro has 5 and friends have had many, finally moved away from Japanese.

I have just bought a 1998 156 2.0ts manual with 50,000km on clock from Japan.

Car handles really nicely but seems incredibly asthmatic. Engine compression is perfect, sounds fine, just lacks response.

It was dark last night so I haven't had a chance to check the air-filter. Engine oil is clean as whistle so I hope the air-filter was replaced recently.

Do the catalytic converters clog up easily?

Does the throttle linkage get slack and need adjustment?

If you disconnect the battery does this re-set the computer? I don't know if the computer learns the fuel octane - we have 91 and 96 in New Zealand - I am guessing it will run better on the higher octane.

Any other ideas?? I have a Skyline GTR so maybe I am just used to more power.....

THANKS

Glenn

See less See more
#2 ·
power problems

I just bought a 156 2.0 with 20.000 miles, and found the same problem. It turns out that the car was run with the lambda probe in bad shape, si the catalizr was bloqued.
I change de whole exhaust sistem. The car fetl like if was gain 30 HP.....it reache 220 km/h easily (the manual top speed).
I also change de MAF...it helps a lot...
good luck...

#3 ·
156 hesitation

Great - thanks for your reply - good to know. I will go and get the Cat cut out and see if that helps.

I replaced the plugs and that helped a lot - border control had jet washed the car when it came in and there was water sitting around the top of the spark plugs - the tops had corroded......

Cheers

Glenn

#4 ·
156 power problems

NOO....do not cut the cat.
the standar cat has a speccial design that llow the lambda probe to work propely. If you cut the cat, the lambda probe wont work efciently and make the ECU belives that there is a problem with the fuel mix. It end up with a poor hp measure.
You have to install an Alfa Romeo exahust designed equipment. Thear are a lot of branches that provide that kind of equipment.
Go for de ludest one...jejeje.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.