Alfa Romeo Forums banner

alfa gtv gearknob question (or any alfa with 6 speed)

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  alphalvr 
#1 · (Edited)
hi i have a 6 speed gtv box on my alfa 164 including gearstick.
the gtv gearstick is too long for my car (only a minor annotance) and compared with the very short reach164 cloverleaf stick its almost double the length.
ive remover a alfa gearknob before and know its basically a cut it off job because its glued better than anything has been glued before but what info i need is where is the spring located on the stick for the reverse gear protecter? (ie the spring for the mechanism that stops you selecting reverse without pulling up the safety)

1. is it a short fat spring located in the gearknob?? (ie it gets squashed)

2. or is it a spring located in the shaft (probally it streches spring??)

a technical picture would be ideal if any have access to the mechanism before i commit to cut the shaft.

lastly does any any aftermarket knob with the reverse function fit straight on alfas?? (this isnt important as ill make it fit) the black plastic around the shaft will also have to be shortened and adapted. id like to keep this function for safetyalthough i can live without it but i doubt ill have to.

thanks for any speedy help, ive got hacksaw in hand!!!! :D :D :D :D

See less See more
#2 ·
i took the plunge and cut 3 inches off the shaft after cutting off the gearnob.
mt old momo nob which i had with my 5 speed box doesnt have the shift reverse feature so i took plunge and bought one that did.
as always alfa excells in being differnt.
the shaft is too small for the nob so i had to make a sleeve to pad it out :( or gear nob was at a silly angle when tightened up.
Also the shift reverse nob doesnt fit, the sleeve of plastic doesnt fit up inside so i may as well have saved my money and adapted my momo as ive had to adapt my new nob anyway.
also the grub screw is missing out the nob box so i need to take it back tomorrow.
but early tomorrow it will be fixed with shift reverse feature still active, quite pleased with myself.
the gearstick feels much better 3" shorter imho.
now just need to refit my centre console and get the sewing machine out to make a new gaiter, just need some black leather, its a bit extreme cutting up a jacket:) :) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.