Alfa Romeo Forums banner

146 Heater Control Problem

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Sportivo 
#1 ·
High Folks,

Help. The heater control on our 146 (1.6TS) appears to have given up and gone back to Milano! We can't reduce the Temp/Heat level. Any thoughts as to the cause (mechanical/thermostat etc?) - before I start dismantling everything on the dashboard!

Cheers

#2 ·
Hi,

My wifes 146 Ti had a similar problem, although it has aircon, it could well be the cable from the rotary switch has snapped, if you remove the trim from the base of the centre console you should be able to reach up from the passenger footwell and...... eventually after skinned knuckles...... you will feel the temperature flap/lever you can then manually move it from hot to cold. To replace the cable is apparently a job of truly epic proportions and after 18 months one I have not plucked up the courage to do.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Thank you! I thought I had posted something offensive - hence no response till now! You have confirmed my worst fear (guessed cable change etc) - did an initial recce and decided it would be better wife puts up with the heat :D ! Will try again though.

Cheers :

#5 ·
Thanks. I finally got into a determined mode and had a go. As Zagato warned, it was a real nuckle bruiser bruiser but I managed to reach the contact point between the cable and the "tap". Succeeded in turning the heater off. But it's a puzzle - while I was moving the tap back and fort I could feel the cable move also. So, it seems connected and not broken - but why won't it turn the tap?! Unless this is an illusion. Ah well, when cold weather approaches, I will have another go!

Cheers

#6 ·
Without any specific knowledge of your car, is it possible that the outside sheath of the cable is no longer clamped in place at the tap end? This would seem to be the problem if the wire centre is still attached.

#7 ·
Good day Chris,

I think you are right - I could feel an "edge" on the outer cable sleeve, but obviously can't see where/how to attach it. I have just about, in minds eye, worked out as to why the inner core will move and yet not operate the lever (i.e. it's expanding in/out, but without a rigid point of resistance it can't transfer any force onto the lever?!).

I will keep at it - it's become a challenge of "fixation" level!

Cheers

#8 ·
What year is your 146? Alfa parts CD listing covers 3 different groups.

#10 ·
You're right about the point of resistance. Think about a pushbike brake. The cable pulls through the sheath, with the sheath providing the fixed point.
By the way 1 deg C here at the moment (snow tomorrow) so heaters are flat out anyway ;)

Cheers

#11 ·
Thanks Chris. But look what the blessed cable made me go and do - it made me search for Ballarat, and even watch a webcam of Bridge Str/Victoria! Pretty dark, didn't see any Alfa's! So, Gold Mine owners , eh?

It's nice and sunny here - just right for the Cricket.

BTW, we live in Berkshire - near Camberley/Sandhurts. Admire the cars you have/owned - Love to get a 1750 GTV.

Cheers

Parvis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.