Battery Recommendation - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes
  • 2 Post By ghnl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Battery Recommendation

I currently have a good opportunity to replace the battery in my GTV race car. It's now located in the right rear seat and I was thinking of putting in one of the really lightweight motorcycle batteries, like "Alien Motion".

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
I use an Odyssey battery in my MGA. I do have an alternator to keep it charged. It has plenty of oomph to start my medium high compression (10.5:1) engine.

Odyssey Batteries
Attached Images

alfaparticle and horsewidower like this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- fuel injector cleaning
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Odyssey PC680. Have had one for 8 years with benign neglect and it still works. Mine is on a generator. A cut-off switch is your friend.

If you are in a high heat environment use the metal case option - not likely near the back seat. Can be had with automotive terminals or MC ones - take your pick.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I too have had good experience with the Odyssey PC680 in my Spider and I have the next larger size in my GTV6. You can install them in any position except upside-down.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks. Next question is what lightweight alternator to run?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
Bosch makes a small, lightweight, high output 'racing' alternator.
http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/medi...8520971pdf.pdf

I use an alternator from a Saturn - because it will fit my MGA without modification (other than swapping the serpentine belt pulley for a V-belt pulley). It is reasonably small and I figure if needed I can get a replacement at most any auto parts store.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

- fuel injector cleaning
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Many of the Alfa Racers use a small Japanese one that is OE on fork lift trucks but it may not be powerful enough for night driving. I use a regular Bosch from an S3 Spider but I have a small crank pulley from Gordon Raymond that reduces the speed of both the alternator and the water pump. That makes pump cavitation less likely and reduces the stress on the alternator at high rpm and probably reduces the power consumption of them.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:53 PM

Garage
I use the Oddyssey PC680, but lighter options are now available in the form or Lithium Iron batteries. I use an Antigravity battery in my large displacement motard race bike, lights it right off, and weighs next to nothing. They're expensive, though, especially in car applications.

For alternators, a race car doesn't need more than a couple dozen amps. I use this:NEW ALTERNATOR CHEVY MINI DENSO STREET ROD RACE 3-WIRE ND100211-1670 12190N | eBay

I run it with a larger alternator pulley, and a smaller crank pulley.

But I can't get these alternators to last more than a couple/few seasons. I've been through two in six or seven years. So I always keep a spare in the trailer. Cheap enough to do so. Also, the mounting lugs don't line up right, so I mill them down to fit.

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit

Last edited by Nader; 05-19-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode