F1 2017 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

F1 2017

Starting off the new year....

"The FIA claim substantial gains of over three seconds are expected in 2017 through the "aerodynamic rules evolution, wider tires and reduction of car weight".

According to Mercedes' Toto Wolff, the 2017 cars "will be more difficult to drive" and "deploy much more G on the driver like in the past". That will please drivers like Fernando Alonso, who has been keen to experience the 'wow' factor in the sport once again.

"It's going in the right direction, we need to make the cars faster and the cars better," he said. "We just need the fastest cars to produce a good show."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:00 AM

I can only hope that after a few years of a*s-whippings my RedTeam can figure out what Mercedes has been doing & what Ferrari has not! Another 'hope' is that Vettel gets back to his former 'winning-ways'.....

Regards
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

here you go:

"Let's take Sergio Perez; known for his qualities of looking after tyres, with the car slip-sliding around and he's great at keeping them alive during a long slippery stint. That might be eradicated next year, you might be able to lean on your tyres as much as you want through the whole race and you don't have to consider the tyre wear or the car moving around at all. You're going to be power limited rather than grip limited. The whole thing could be turned on its head.

"You might see someone like Sebastian Vettel who thrived in 2011, putting his foot down even before he's got to the apex of the corner. You're going to now have wider tyres at the back and loads more downforce and giving you that extra grip. A driver like him might find even more time than what he currently can."

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:00 PM

Garage
The best news is the troll is gone. Bernie was way past his prime.

Dave De Rosier
1969 Spider, 1965 Giulia Sprint GT vintage racer
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave De Rosier View Post
The best news is the troll is gone. Bernie was way past his prime.
I agree but not sure I'm comfortable with Chase Carey. Bernie has needed to go for a long, LONG time but now we have an arrogant TV exec who knows absolutely zero about the sport but thinks he knows it all. Let's have a Vegas race! Let's have an LA race! Let's have a Dallas race! All this has been tried before and failed. What needs to happen is to keep Austin, perhaps add a second at a good course (I've always thought Laguna Seca would be ideal - great track near a huge metropolitan area full of F1 fans. Turn 6 safety is always a question but could be solved with proper funding) and take the sport away from "whomever has the money to pay" and back to it's European base. Certainly the idea that F1 could take over America supplanting NASCAR and Indy Car is pure fantasy and can't possibly succeed.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 02-08-2017 at 05:47 PM.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

first pre-season test

Montemelo, 27 February, 2017

Weather Conditions
Clear, dry, mild

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport kicked off the first pre-season test of the 2017 season today at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, with Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton taking turns at the wheel of the Mercedes-AMG F1 W08 EQ Power+

· Valtteri emerged for his first run as the track opened at 09:00, completing 79 laps before the hour-long lunch break at 13:00

· Lewis took over in the cockpit for the afternoon session, completing 73 laps before the pit lane closed at 18:00

Lewis Hamilton:
It’s been a good day, a really positive day for the team. The car looks fantastic and it feels great. We did lots of laps and collected loads of information today, so we can try to improve the car as we move forward. We’ve not done any work to get the balance perfect yet, as today was all about ticking off the list of checkpoints and racking up mileage.

I definitely put my body to the test today. These test days are like training. It was good to feel the wider, beefier car. It’s faster, more physical… it’s a beast! You’ve got to drive it a bit differently. It’s so much better than last year’s cars. The G-Forces are definitely higher. We’re pulling two more G than we’d usually pull around here. There’s so much more downforce, which is something you always want as a driver. You always want to go faster through the corners.

The tyres are so hard that they don’t drop off. Most likely we’ll be doing more one-stoppers. Normally you get a lot of degradation with these tyres – but these ones don’t degrade. They’re very consistent, and there’s not a big difference between the feeling on the first lap and the last lap.

Over the next few days we’ll start to look to improve the car. I still think we’re the team to beat – but we have a lot of work ahead of us to do, the same as every single team on the grid. Right now we’re just focusing on our own job to do the very best that we can.

post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

2017 Ferrari
Attached Images

post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:39 PM

Garage
The RB Show..

mhemsley likes this.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Gold Subscriber

Looks like Mercedes still has the jump on everyone.

Of course, pre-season testing is not always a good indicator of race performance.

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Looks like Mercedes still has the jump on everyone.
Here's what BBC said today:

Ferrari set the fastest lap for the second time in four days as the first pre-season test came to an end. Kimi Raikkonen was 0.897 seconds quicker than Red Bull's Max Verstappen at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

Lewis Hamilton did not run after Mercedes discovered an electrical problem with the car, while team-mate Valtteri Bottas was eighth-fastest.

I wouldn't be too pessimistic about Ferrari's prospects for 2017!

see: http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39139492

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Gold Subscriber

I'm hoping that Ferrari has the stuff to challenge them from the get go. Even Red Bull...although I'd certainly prefer Ferrari to be the lead chaser.

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

Location: Moved to the hills of Tennessee - Chattanooga is a great town
Thanks, Sketchl, for attaching that interview with Ross Brawn. One piece of that interview was about fan access - and press access. That really took me back to Monaco in 1968, when you could wander the streets in the evening and stumble on McLaren F1 cars on jack stands in an apartment building parking garage or BRM in a dealership garage. The entire time F1 was at Watkins Glen, $1 got you into the building where all the teams worked on the cars. It's the kind of access that ALMS/IMSA, Indycar, SCCA, and others have gotten right. If the fans can get close - safely - I believe they are more enthusiastic.

I first covered F1 with credentials in 1980. The difference between then and when I stopped covering F1 three years later was noticeable, and now very few can get close even during times between sessions. I was very pleased to hear Brawn say that the issue of access is one of the things they (Liberty Media) are interested in improving.

The other thing I liked a lot was Brawn's pun about DRS - he said he'd "like to see the back of it."" LOL! Me too - too damned artificial.

I can hardly wait for the season to begin for real - I hope more teams are truly competitive.

Mike

A Chattanooga resident as of July 29, 2016

Current cool cars:

2013 Focus ST
1973 Giulia Super
1949 Austin Dorset (looking to replace this with a Lotus Elan Plus 2)
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
When Bernie gave ex Brasilian waiter 'Pasquale' control of F1 pit box/lane accreditation in the late 80's, he declared the area as his own sovereign country..........Interesting times thanks to Prince Pasquale!
Attached Images

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhemsley View Post
I first covered F1 with credentials in 1980. The difference between then and when I stopped covering F1 three years later was noticeable, and now very few can get close even during times between sessions. ...
F1 really did start clamping down around the time you started. I shot the USGP for AP at the Glen from 1974 through 1980, and it stayed pretty open until the end. I recall in '79 or '80 they started to limit us to only one photographer in the pits during the race. That hardly mattered. With no scheduled pit stops, we didn't usually have more than one there anyway. But that was a different world -- cameras didn't focus themselves...

Ed
1970 Lancia Fulvia 1,6 HF
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

2017 DRIVER LINE-UPS

MERCEDES
Race drivers: Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas
Engines: Mercedes

RED BULL
Race drivers: Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen
Reserve driver: Pierre Gasly
Engines: TAG Heuer-badged Renault

FERRARI
Race drivers: Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen
Third driver: Antonio Giovinazzi
Engines: Ferrari

FORCE INDIA
Race drivers: Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon
Test driver: Alfonso Celis

WILLIAMS
Race drivers: Felipe Massa and Lance Stroll

MCLAREN
Race drivers: Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne
Third driver: Jenson Button
Test and development drivers: Oliver Turvey and Nobuharu Matsushita
Engines: Honda

TORO ROSSO
Race drivers: Carlos Sainz and Daniil Kvyat
Reserve driver: Pierre Gasly
Engines: Renault

HAAS
Race drivers: Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen
Engines: Ferrari

RENAULT
Race drivers: Nico Hulkenberg and Jolyon Palmer
Reserve driver: Sergey Sirotkin
Engines: Renault

SAUBER
Race drivers: Marcus Ericsson and Pascal Wehrlein
Engines: Ferrari (2016 spec)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode