Alfa Romeo Forums banner

New Vintage Racing Podcast

12K views 63 replies 7 participants last post by  Brit-Italia 
#1 ·
Hello,

Introducing a new vintage racing podcast for drivers, race car owners and crew, enthusiasts and spectators of vintage racing, and vintage car collectors.

My co-host is Dave Vegher, Alfa owner and racer, past winner of 3 national championships and other awards, renowned U.S. race engine builder, and preparer of winning vintage racecars at his Veloce Motors West shop in Petaluma, California, one of the best shops in the States. Dave builds a lot of winning motors for various classes of race cars from GTVs and GTAs, Elan 26Rs to formula cars, to sports racers. I am not a racer, but am a GTV2000 and double Lotus Elan owner (S3 and S4), own other vintage cars, and am an enthusiast of vintage racing here on the West Coast.

We have a new web site, shown below, which is home base for our podcast, and where you can find our episodes, photos, helpful links, and blog posts. The link to our episodes takes you to our new media hosting service where you can listen to or download the episodes, and subscribe to the RSS feed to be automatically notified when new episodes are posted. Episodes are available on iTunes - search for Vintage Racing Podcast.

We'll be covering the various racing groups - CSRG, SVRA, VARA, etc., and discussing the various racing categories - FV, FF, FA, F1, Sports Racing, etc. We'll also talk about vintage street cars; selecting, collecting, maintaining, and more. We also plan to interview many of the local vintage race drivers, mechanics, and luminaries. As you might imagine, with 40 years in the business, Dave will have plenty of stories for me to extract and share with listeners.

If any of you would like to share your ideas, provide questions for us to try to answer about vintage motors, race prep, race tracks, etc., please feel free to email me at:

greg at vintageracingpodcast dot com

and check out our web site:

vintageracingpodcast dot com

Cheers,

Greg Tatarian

See less See more
#2 ·
Parev.

Greg Seferian

#5 ·
Cool, N.

Our fourth will be recorded this weekend, and should be available next week. Dave and I will be talking about the detailed restoration, development and racing of his storied Chevron B23, and his co-driver experiences in the Le mans Classic in Bert Skidmore’s Lola. We’ll also be sharing some listener emails.

Stop by and check it out...

www dot vintageracingpodcast dot com

#6 ·
I listened to the first two podcasts. They're good.

I like the interview format. Any chance you can talk to the folks at Norman racing? Lots of great content there. John, Dan, Dennis.

Greg

#7 ·
Thanks, Greg. The third episode picks up speed and is more informative for those interested in getting a racing license and getting into vintage racing.

Excellent suggestion about Norman Racing! They are friends of Dave's and just across the Bay. Thanks for that.

Cheers,

Greg

#8 ·
Episode 4 is now on iTunes.

Dave Vegher and I cover a lot of ground in this 4th episode. First off are some listener emails – thank you! Next, Dave talks about obtaining, restoring and developing his 24 Hour of LeMans Chevron B36 2-Liter sports racer. We move on to discussing the origin and race development of BMW M12 engines, talk about an Alfa GTA engine in the shop, and many other current engine projects for the 2016 racing season.

Too much to cover Dave’s drive in the Vintage 24 Hours of LeMans this time around, so we’ll bring that to you soon!

Go to our Episodes page to listen, or subscribe to Vintage Racing Podcast on iTunes. Don’t forget to subscribe to our news posts by going to our web site, then head to the menu at left, and select Entries RSS.

Ciao,

Greg Tatarian

#9 ·
Episode 5 will be released on Saturday afternoon, February 6. Please check it out, and visit our web site.

I welcome photos of listeners' cars - feel free to send them to me at:

for inclusion in our web site:

Ciao,

Greg

#10 ·
If you haven't been to our web site lately, please come by. Episode 5 was released 9 days ago; Episode 6 with mechanic and vintage race car driver Ethan Shippert was recorded a couple of days ago, and will be uploaded later this week. I've also uploaded some more photos of current shop projects.

Ciao,

#11 ·
If you haven't stopped by our web site lately or listened to a recent podcast, please do. Part 2 with Ethan Shippert was uploaded today, and Dave and I just recorded an episode focusing on planning an engine build, and how he approaches performance street builds vs. race engine builds.

Also just recorded, and to be released in a couple of weeks or so, is a fantastic episode featuring a conversation with Andrew Watry, one of this board's moderators, and an extremely active Bay Area member of the Alfa Romeo community.

See you soon,

Greg Tatarian

greg@vintageracingpodcast.com

Vintage Racing Podcast | With Greg Tatarian and Dave Vegher

on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vintage-racing-podcast/id1073365636

#12 ·
Have been listening to the podcasts. Definitely enjoying them. May not have caught the last one... but one "comment". Maybe it's not a comment about the podcast, but more about vintage racing. We're a pretty laid back, and not particularly rich place here in New Mexico. I'd love to see more opportunities to race a vintage car that isn't perfectly period correct, and very expensive. I see the wonderful Alfetta LeMons thread on these boards, but not much for enduro racing. Also, maybe it's just what I see on the Internet? I'm not super serious, but would like to not race with people that are making a total goof out of it. (We've seen some of those cars.)

So here's my plug for racing old cars that may have "wrong parts" out of economic necessity, and whose only pedigree is Craig's List. :)

Nick

#14 ·
Longtime Berkeley Alfa Romeo owner and enthusiast, and our own Alfa Bulletin Board moderator, Andrew Watry recently joined me for a phone conversation about his lifelong passion for cool cars from England, Germany, and not least, Italy. Andrew founded the Berlina Registry, and leads annual drives for that group. Andrew also shares his experiences with autocross, rallies, and more recently, vintage racing with the CSRG.

New release date: Sunday, March 6, at 0500 Pacific time. Please check it out.

subscribe to our web site RSS feed:

on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vintage-racing-podcast/id1073365636

#15 · (Edited)
Phil Reilly conversation on Vintage Racing Podcast

Our new episode with Phil Reilly has just been released. He is known not just around the U.S., but in the U.K. and Europe, and for good reason. Please head to our web site and check out some photos of special engines he has rebuilt, subscribe to our RSS feed for news posts, and download the latest episode to learn more about Phil and his company of 35 years - Phil Reilly and Company.

http://philreillycompany.com/

Best,

Greg

http://vintageracingpodcast.com

#16 · (Edited)
Vintage Racing Podcast - Dave Vegher at his shop

Our new episode was published this morning. Dave Vegher and I met at his shop to discuss how he approaches a performance street build vs. a race engine build, and how to plan your engine build, either doing it yourself, or having it built by a professional. Lots of great information here from a master engine builder, so please head to our web site, and download the new episode there or from iTunes.

Ciao,

Greg Tatarian

#17 · (Edited)
2-Part Conversation with Dan Marvin, Coming Soon

Back from the CSRG David Love Memorial Vintage Races, and I had a great time. Lots of work my first time around as a safety technical inspector, as there were over 250 cars entered, I was told. One of those entrants was my guest for an upcoming 2-part conversation - Dan Marvin, master machinist and mechanic with Jon Norman Racing in Berkeley, California, and championship-winning race driver.

Dan spoke by phone with me from the shop just a few days before the races. I'll tell you more about Dan when I post the first episode.

I'm busy editing and mixing the first part, so please stay tuned for an outstanding conversation with a special talent and great guy, Dan Marvin.

Cheers,

Greg

#18 ·
Back from the CSRG David Love Memorial Vintage Races, and I had a great time. Lots of work my first time around as a safety technical inspector, as there were over 250 cars entered, I was told. One of those entrants was my guest for the upcoming 2-part conversation with Dan Marvin, master machinist and mechanic with Jon Norman Racing in Berkeley, California and championship-winning race driver. I’ll tell you more about Dan when I post the first episode.

I’m busy editing and mixing the first part, so please stay tuned for an outstanding conversation with a special talent and great guy, Dan Marvin.

Cheers,

Greg

Dan is a great guy and truly an enthusiast. Fast as anything behind the wheel and modest to boot.

Norman racing and Dan have done a few things for me on my Berlina and GTV Vintage race cars and anything they put their hands on is top notch.

Looking forward to hearing from him.

Greg

#20 ·
Dan and Norman prepared 2 two liter race cylinder heads for me. Both about 13 to 1 with the pistons custom fitted to accommodate the compression and cam lift.

They also prepped a set of dropped spindle uprights. very nice work with some gusseting / stiffeners added. I work in a manufacturing business and among other things I am a CWI. I sent the uprights out to a firm that does radiographic inspections (X-ray). They checked out fine.

Greg

#24 ·
After uploading our latest episode, work took me out of town, so I didn't notice that the episode was truncated by almost half its length! Clark A. Lance has just notified me of the problem, so I've re-uploaded the complete episode. Please give it a listen for more fun with Dave and Ethan, and thank you, Clark!

Greg

#25 ·
New Episode...

Joining me for Part 1 of a two-part conversation is Howden Ganley, one of four New Zealand racing drivers who have scored World Championship points. Howden competed in 41 World Championship Formula One Grand Prix races, earning 10 championship points, and stood on the podium at LeMans, and in Can-Am races.

Howden was not only a skilled driver in many different cars and race series – he was a skilled mechanic, engineer, race car developer, businessman, husband and partner to his wife Judy, honoree of the Howden Ganley Formula 5000 Festival in New Zealand in 2015, member of the board of the British Racing Driver’s Club and Road Racing Driver’s Club, Vice President of the Grand Prix Driver’s Club, and honoree on New Zealand’s Wall of Fame in 2013.

Check out Howden Ganley’s book – The Road to Monaco – 448 pages of history, stories of racing and race car development, his friendships and racing teams, packed with photographs that help tell his story.

Download the episode at:
and subscribe to our RSS feed from the home page for news updates

or on iTunes, and please give us 5 star ratings so we can stay visible in iTunes searches

Cheers,

Greg greg@vintageracingpodcast.com

#26 ·
Hello,
Joining me for my latest episode released Thursday, May 26, is Rick Parent, National Technical Director of SVRA. The Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival is just around the corner at Sonoma Raceway – June 2-5, 2016. The Sportscar Vintage Racing Association is celebrating Formula Fords this year, one of the most ubiquitous and affordable classes of cars. Rick discusses the upcoming event, recent rule changes for Formula Ford within the organization, and the expected high turnout of participants this year. Rick also shares his long-time background with race cars and fabrication.
Cheers,
Greg

#27 ·
Part 1 was released on June 29, 2016.

Released today is Part 2 of our conversation with vintage and club racer Jerry Kehoe. Greg and Jerry talk about Jerry's Triumph TR3, British vintage cars, the high cost of vintage and club racing, and disappearance of many things mechanical in our highly technical age. Jerry and Greg talk about welding, and muse about the dearth of good auto parts counter workers. Lots more in this episode, so please check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.