New Vintage Racing Podcast - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Hi All,

Hope you'll check out my interview with Conrad Stevenson coming next week. Most of you know of Conrad, but if not, you'll enjoy this episode - plenty of Alfa content.

Please check our web site soon to see when Conrad's episode is posted.

http://vintageracingpodcsast.com

greg@vintageracingpodcsast.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Today I am very pleased to present Conrad Stevenson, of Conrad Stevenson Restorations in Berkeley, California.

Conrad is a real car nut with serious skills as a restoration artist, has hand-fabricated vintage Alfa Romeo bodies, and brought many Alfas and other Italian cars to concours beauty. Conrad is also a participant of many famous vintage car rallies, and has provided mechanical support services for the California Mille since 1991.
Don’t let that lead you to believe Conrad is a snob; he is also an enthusiastic participant in the 24 Hours of LeMons in his Ecurie Ecrappe Alfa Spider.

In our conversation, Conrad shares his early influences leading to a life of cars, and talks about his friends, collaborators and valued clients who share his goals and vision for his high standards of workmanship.

Conrad tells us about his experiences in the La Carrera Panamericana, and why he has so thoroughly enjoyed this event. We also talk about the future of vintage car racing and collecting, how to elevate the interest and involvement of the younger generation, and how we can get the most out of our own experiences with our cars.

Visit Vintage Racing Podcast | Greg Tatarian, Host; with Dave Vegher
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Did you check out my February 24 Episode with the legendary John Morton? If not, be sure to do so before listening to the latest episode, released today.

Vintage Racing Podcast listeners seem to share my goal of making  episodes interesting to a wide range of listeners, including professional mechanics and race car preparers, ex-professional racers, relatively uninformed spectators, current vintage racers, and vintage car lovers and collectors.

Some listeners have asked for more conversations with famous ex-racers or professional race prep shop operators, while others have asked for interviews with the regular folks who race vintage cars for fun, having never professionally raced, or maybe not even club raced during a car’s production era. I think that’s because we can appreciate and learn from the pros, but we can relate to the amateurs like ourselves.

One of the recurring themes of the conversations on Vintage Racing Podcast is how to keep vintage cars and vintage racing relevant to younger generations. With the rising costs of vintage race and street cars, parts, and preparation, and the rising costs of getting to the track and competing, coupled with the aging of professionals who maintain, rebuild and repair these cars, it’s reasonable to assume that vintage racing will have to include later cars, and in some cases, more acceptance of later modifications.

My guest this episode is Kevin Corrigan, from Michigan, near Detroit. Kevin was recommended to me by Rich (gprocket on AlfaBB.com), and Vintage Racing Podcast listener who shared suggestions for contemporary racers of vintage cars. Kevin could just as easily be club racing a spec-Miata or other late production car, but for a variety of reasons he shares, prefers to vintage race an Alfa Romeo GTV2000. Kevin works in the automotive industry, and although he may not be able to share decades of racing experience with listeners, he does share is his viewpoints and enthusiasm as a young participant in the sport, which I think is something that vintage race organizations need to encourage.

Visit: Vintage Racing Podcast | Greg Tatarian, Host; with Dave Vegher for Episodes and lots of other great stuff.

Also, please check out ApexSpeed.com - The faster you go, the more you need..

Cheers,

Greg

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Locke de Bretteville - CSRG President About Upcoming David Love Vintage Race, More

Returning for a conversation this time is Locke de Bretteville, President of the California Sports Racing Group. Today we’re talking about the upcoming David Love Vintage Car Road Races at Sonoma Raceway, from March 31 through April 2. Locke reviews the history of this race and its namesake, David Love, a co-founder of the CSRG, now in its 50th season. We talk about the race schedule, run groups, including new and expanded groups, and about the somewhat later cars now admitted to the club’s races. This race is a tie-in with two other 50th anniversaries – Formula Ford series they’re calling the Crossflow Cup, and the Continental Series, the original series for Formula B and Formula A, later F5000.

Locke and I talk about how CSRG reaches out to younger members, and discussions by the club on admitting later some later race cars, and Locke shares his thoughts on the future of vintage and contemporary auto racing, including Formula E, and virtual auto racing. I ask Locke how the club’s expansion of Group 8 is coming along, which sparks a discussion about handling larger run groups when turnout can be inconsistent from race to race. We also talk about participation by spectators, as well as local car collector’s groups and driving clubs, and we get into a discussion about several of the fastest drivers in the CSRG, such as Dan Marvin, a previous guest on Vintage Racing Podcast.

Thanks for joining us, and hope that some of our listeners will be heading out to the beautiful Sonoma Raceway for the upcoming event.
Please subscribe to our web site by heading to http://vintageracingpodcast.com, and selecting “Entries RSS” from the left side menu.

Cheers,

Greg Tatarian
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:56 AM

New Vintage Racing Podcast

Hi..

The technology on that new tire sounds great! Have you had a ride and drive to test it against the other manufacturers yet? I'm curious as I have friends that are close to getting replacement tires and to date the top ones in the Grand Touring category that we like are the Continental Pure Contact with Eco Plus Technology and the Pirelli P7 Cinturauto All Season Plus. I went ahead and got the Pirelli's and I am loving them. As a vendor with some first hand knowledge, which once do you recommend for our Hybrids for folks that like to do some spirited driving and still maintain some decent economy?
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

We're Back... Conversation with Rick Knoop, Part 1 of 2

With a career spanning 5 decades, my conversation with successful race car driver, Rick Knoop, is only the tip of the iceberg. Here we learn about many of the wide variety of race cars he’s driven, many of the co-drivers with whom he’s shared a cockpit (Rick is at home with sprints as with endurance races), and Rick shares some of his philosophy on racing, and importantly, keeping a car on the track and in the race until the finish.

Rick presents little sidebars and story gems that help paint the picture of his racing days, past and present (be sure to search the internet for videos of Rick driving the 1972 McLaren M8F, and his Pikes Peak Hill Climb footage).

This is a long conversation, so I’m splitting it up into two episodes. If you listen to part one, you will definitely want to also listen to part two, because there is a LOT covered in each episode.

http://vintageracingpodcast.com

Greg Tatarian

Last edited by Brit-Italia; 05-24-2017 at 04:09 PM.
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
I've released two more episodes; a review of Rick Knoop's documentary, Racing Through the Forest, and Part 2 of my conversation with Rick, a highly experienced and accomplished race car driver (and fun interview).
Ciao,
Greg
greg@vintageracingpodcast.com
Vintage Racing Podcast | Greg Tatarian, Host; with Dave Vegher

Last edited by Brit-Italia; 06-05-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

My guest this time on Vintage Racing Podcast is a master fabricator and top-level restorer, Joe Cavaglieri. Joe’s 50 years of experience began with his many years working on an impressive array of race teams and builders that include Peter Brock, Brad Friselle, Ryan Falconer, Frank Garcia and others, preparing cars for top level race drivers that include previous guest, John Morton, as well as Al Unser Jr., George Follmer, James Hunt, Leila Lombardi, John Hotchkis, Robert Kirby, and more. Joe spent those years in high-intensity learning mode on F5000 cars, the Frisbee Can-Am car, Indy cars, managing race cars, race teams, handling mechanical and fabrication duties, and more. This experience provided the foundation for Joe when he started his restoration business in 1984, first restoring a Lotus 19, with more work being referred by clients and colleagues since that first day.

Joe and I spoke for over an hour about many of the details of his early years in racing, through to beginning his restoration business, in which he has become known as a top-level master craftsman with a focus on ultra-rare and unique Porsches for wealthy car collectors and celebrities. Joe and I talk about the range of Porsche Spyders he has restored, and we discuss some of his philosophy on the degree, and the point of a car’s history to which it should be restored. We also get a little technical, with a discussion about panel forming in aluminum, tools he uses and prefers, and metal shaping techniques, and Joe shares his favorite aspects, and most notable challenges with his work.

Visit my web site at: Vintage Racing Podcast | Greg Tatarian, Host

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode