Alfa Powered Fromula B & Track Time - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-18-2003, 01:54 PM

Alfa Powered Fromula B & Track Time

I recently acquired a vintage Titan MK IX Fromula car that began life as a Formula Ford and has been uprated to a Formula B. In its current configuration, the car has ground effects, spoiler, inboard brakes and a fire suppression sytem. The car has inboard rear brakes and slicks. It is powered by an Alfa (Alfasud) Horizontally oppossed, Boxster style engine that apparently produces in the neighborhood of 175 horsepower (850 lb car).

I was fortunate enough to run a Lotus Caterham with the Alfa club at the last outing at Laguna Seca and wanted to find out if this car could be used for future Alfa track events. I am not interested in fully "campaigning" the car but simple spending some time in the seat refining my driving skills. I have taken a few of the Formula Ford courses (Russell) and spent a fair amount of time on the race track in a variety of types of vehicles.

So, a few questions. Will this car be eligible for participation in the Alfa track events? Wht kind of credentials are necessary? Does anyone know of any other groups that allow Formula cars access to race tracks. Certainly, there are a number groups that accept production cars but finding a suitable group for an open-wheeld car is a little more difficult. I thought given the Alfa power plant that this car may have some interest to the Alfa group..

Any thoughts / referrals would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2003, 02:54 PM

Re: Alfa Powered Fromula B & Track Time

Quote:
Originally posted by oneprw
I recently acquired a vintage Titan MK IX Fromula car that began life as a Formula Ford and has been uprated to a Formula B. In its current configuration, the car has ground effects, spoiler, inboard brakes and a fire suppression sytem. The car has inboard rear brakes and slicks. It is powered by an Alfa (Alfasud) Horizontally oppossed, Boxster style engine that apparently produces in the neighborhood of 175 horsepower (850 lb car).

I was fortunate enough to run a Lotus Caterham with the Alfa club at the last outing at Laguna Seca and wanted to find out if this car could be used for future Alfa track events. I am not interested in fully "campaigning" the car but simple spending some time in the seat refining my driving skills. I have taken a few of the Formula Ford courses (Russell) and spent a fair amount of time on the race track in a variety of types of vehicles.

So, a few questions. Will this car be eligible for participation in the Alfa track events? Wht kind of credentials are necessary? Does anyone know of any other groups that allow Formula cars access to race tracks. Certainly, there are a number groups that accept production cars but finding a suitable group for an open-wheeld car is a little more difficult. I thought given the Alfa power plant that this car may have some interest to the Alfa group..

Any thoughts / referrals would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
I take it you are in california since you ran with AROSC at Laguna Seca. Your car qualify's for AROSC and VARA. You can run time trials and/or race group plus Alfa Cup with AROSC. With VARA, you will be running against other Formula B's. To race with AROSC, you will need to complete the race school, if you have already done the time trial school, you are all set to go in time trails. VARA will be holding the University of VARA in January. You should go to Willow Springs this weekend and check out the VARA races. 30+ car fields including formula cars from formula vees all the way to sometimes formula 1 cars.

AROSC www.arosc.org
VARA www.vararacing.com

Last edited by italcarguy; 11-19-2003 at 12:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2003, 05:45 PM

Paul,

Please consider the dangers involved when open wheel cars and fendered cars share the track at the same time. The visibilty issue: you are hard to see. The physics: You will lose if any contact is made. The speed differential: You will be faster than almost anything else out there in the corners and braking zones. If you are running with the TT'ers these will be "no passing zones" You will have to be very disciplined in order to get as many clean laps as possible, and minimize your exposure time.

If you can get your race liscense with the AROSC, do so. The racers seem to be very aware of the smaller, faster, harder to see cars. You will also be able to pass them where you can. I raced my FF with them at Las Vegas, the racers did an EXCELLENT job watching the flags and for me. I was about as comfortable with these guys as I could have been sharing the track with cars that weigh 2-3x as much. I wouldn't do that with too many (any) other groups.

One thing going for you while racing with them is, you won't be around them long. Doesn't interfere with your drive, nor their race.

VARA has some huge fields and you will on the track with cars of similar physical characteristics and speed. They would be (are) on the top of my short list. You'll get a lot of seat time for the buck with AROSC.

To answer one of your questions, I understand that TCRA allows open wheel cars to race with them. However, I wouldn't entertain the thought.

--Daryl DeArman
Old 11-18-2003, 10:33 PM

is this the car that was on ebay a month or two ago? i spoke with the owner after the auction closed and he told me someone in california was interested.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:40 AM

I'd love to see some pictures!
Old 11-20-2003, 05:34 PM

It's a long story but, regrettably, the Formula B is for sale. If anyone has an interst in the race car, or knows of someone who might, please give me a call at 925-846-1451.

I've enclosed a photo of the Alfasud powered car. It was inspected by an independent race car prep company and the indication is that it is very well built and has only two races on the engine. The car is very fast and would make a great track car for someone that is interested in something quicker than a vintage Forsd, Vee, etc.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:38 PM

Formula B

Apologies, but apparently I hit the wrong key and inadvertently sent the message (without correcting typos). Here is a photo. Please give me a call (925-846-1451) or email me at oneprw@sbcglobal.net for additional photos or information.

Thanks,

Paul
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2003, 05:39 PM

Formula B

Engine
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2003, 05:41 PM

Formula B

Wing (temporarily on backwards)
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.