Alfa Romeo 1978 116 GT Sports Sedan History and Pics. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums > General Forums > Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Alfa Romeo 1978 116 GT Sports Sedan History and Pics.

Hi, just posted a few pics of my Alfa Romeo 1978 116 GT Sports Sedan from early days, to how it will look soon with the car currently having New Lightweight Front Airdam/Bumper/Splitter Tray/Raised Venturi Undertray, Lightweight Doors, Lightweight Wide Rear Bumper, Re-Paint, New Lightweight Interior Panels, New Interior Trim Panels, New Exhaust from the Turbo back to exit infront of the LHS Rear Wheel , with, a Brief History, and enquiring if any fellow Alfa Enthusiasts can offer any info on the Cars History with Pics also.
The car Runs a Alfa 2.0 Litre 4 Cylinder Engine, Garrett TO4 Turbocharger, Bauer Intercooler, Motec Fuel Injection Management System, Group 4 Modified GP Sportscars Guards, Spoilers, and Panels, Simmons 15" and 16" Diameter Wheels depending on Track and Conditions, Hollinger 5 Speed Straight Cut Group A Gearbox, Adjustable Front Hollow Sway Bar, Auto Delta Aluminium Front Wishbones, etc, and is CAMS Log Booked.
Name:  Alfa Romeo GT-GTV 116 GP Sportscars Front Early Track.jpg
Views: 7391
Size:  47.2 KB
Car was Originally Built in the Late 70's for Peter Wherret with the car painted in its PYE White and Green Sponsorship Colours, with Backing from Alfa Romeo Australia.
The car was then Sold to Gordon Stephenson of Perth and Raced mainly at Wanneroo in W.A. but unsure of the year.
In 1985 it was Purchased by Rob Burns in Victoria, and Fitted with the Turbo Engine. The car was Raced at the 1988 Adelaide F1 Grand Prix Meeting, and was very Successful in Victoria, being Raced at: Winton, Calder, and Sandown Raceway.
Name:  Alfa Romeo GT-GTV 116 GP Sportscars Lakeside Cameron McLean Front B&W.jpg
Views: 6383
Size:  88.9 KB
In 1989 it was Purchased by Peter Jones in Queensland, and Ran as part of the John McLean Motors Racing Team Driven by Peter Jones and Cameron McLean, Raced at: Lakeside, Oran Park, Sandown, and Winton Raceway.
In 1991 it was evidently owned by a W. Lee in Queensland and Raced at: Lakeside Raceway.
Name:  Alfa Romeo GT Sports Sedan GP Winton Front View.jpg
Views: 5702
Size:  38.6 KB
The car was then Purchased in 1993 by Mat Hibbard of Victoria, and Raced at Phillip Island, Winton, Sandown, and Eastern Creek Raceway.
In 1996 I purchased the car from Mat, and Tested the Car at Calder Raceway in Victoria, with a New Engine, after which it was fitted with a New Turbo.
Name:  Alfa Romeo 116 GT GP Sportscars Sports Sedan Drawing.jpg
Views: 7735
Size:  59.5 KB
I was to then Commence a Lightening Program on the car, however, I had an accident in my Road Alfa Romeo 1977 116 GTV ( Separate to the Race Car )from a Right Hand Tyre Blowing Out in Pouring Rain in Warrandyte, with the Right Front Wheel finishing at my Right Knee with my Right Leg under the Smashed in RH Wheel, and both legs broken as well as other injuries. Consequently, I lost my Right Leg just under my Knee after 15 Operations to save it.
The Alfa was a Source of motivation to learn to Walk again, and now after the car being in storage I am in the process of trying to source a Hand-Held Clutch to Adapt to the Racecar giving me the Opportunity to Race it again in the Alfa Club Events, with Left Foot Braking, but no Double Clutching.
If anyone has any pics of the Racecar, or History they can Share with me I would be Very Grateful if you could post the info here on this Thread.
Best Regards, Peter.

Last edited by carbon8; 11-11-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 AM

G'day Peter,

Welcome to the BB.
Thats quite a story! Glad to hear you are intending to have a go again.

These wheel arches look like Group 2 Rally replicas. There were/are a couple of cars around here in Sydney with those.

Looking forward to reading about your progress. The drawings are great.

Good luck with it all.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:30 AM

there you go!
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the info Martin, it's much appreciated as I am trying to fill in the gaps and build a good amount of pics and info up on the cars build, previous owners, and its Racing History.
Any more info would be greatly appreciated too from any Alfa Historians or Enthusiasts.
Many Thanks, Peter.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to OzMidnight
That's the McLean Alfa I've been hearing about up here but been able to find no info on! A friend of mine knew Cameron and mentioned to me he had an Alfa SS at one point.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 PM

I know that Cameron McLean drove it as it was mentioned in the info that came with the CAMS Log Book when I bought it from Mat.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 PM

Hi Guys, just a bit more info for those interested.
I would appreciate any new info be it new or old and pics.
Thanks again.

ALFA ROMEO ALFETTA GT SPORTS SEDAN.
Brief History:
Originally Built: To Race in the JAMES HARDIE - FERRODO 1000 BATHURST RACE in UNDER 2.0 LITRE CLASS.
Race Team: PYE RACING TEAM ( Green and White Colours ).
Supported by: Heavy Support from ALFA ROMEO AUSTRALIA with AUTODELTA Race Components.
Then Built to Race in the AUSTRALIAN SPORTS SEDAN CHAMPIONSHIP by Peter Wherrett.
Originally ran an ALFA ROMEO AUTODELTA 2.0 Litre Engine.
Then in 1985 Rob Burns fitted an ALFA ROMEO 2.0 Litre Engine with Turbo with following details.
Engine Specifications: ALFA ROMEO 1962cc, 4 Cylinders, 2 Valves / Cylinder, Twin OHC.
Fully Blueprinted and Balanced by RON RICHARDS ENGINE DEVELOPMENT CENTRE ( Dick Johnson and Tony Longhurst ).
Complete New Head.
GARRETT TO4 Airresearch Normalair Turbocharger with both Water and Oil Cooling.
Adjustable Boost Wastegate with Boost Knob located in Cockpit.
Power from BENINCA Dyno 1985: Running 1.5 Bar - 330 Horsepower.
Running 2.0 Bar - 440 Horsepower.
On Power from 4000 RPM to 6500 – 7000 RPM.
Sump – Full Baffles and Windage Tray.
MOTEC Fuel Injection Management System.
CUSTOM Fabricated Exhaust System.
Gearbox: Group A HOLLINGER 5 Speed.
Differential: ALFA ROMEO V6 Transaxle with ZF Limited Slip Diff, with Oil Cooler and Electric Pump Fitted.
Brakes: Front 12” Ventilated Discs with HARROP 4 Spot Callipers.
Rear 11” Ventilated Discs with GIRLING 4 Spot Callipers.
AEROQUIP Brake Lines.
Twin Master Cylinders with Balance Bar. New 1990.
Wheels: SIMMONS 15” Diameter x 10” Width.
CONCORD 16” Diameter x 10” Width.
SIMMONS 16” Diameter x 10” Width
Tyres: Various Slicks and Wets.
Suspension: AUTODELTA Aluminium Front Wishbones.
KONI Shock Absorbers.
Custom Made Hollow Adjustable Sway Bar.
Fuel Tank: 100 Litre Aluminium Custom Tank Foam Filled with Plastic Bladder.
Twin Fuel Pumps and Twin Fuel Filters.
Cockpit: Full CUSTOM Made Steel Race Cage with Hip and Diagonal Bracing.
MOMO Racing Steering Wheel.
RECARO Racing Seat – New Black Retrim.
6 Point Race Harness.
Analogue Gauges: Tachometer.
Boost Pressure.
Fuel Pressure.
Oil Pressure.
Oil Temperature.
Water Temperature.
Transaxle Temperature.
Other Cockpit Features: Aluminium Inner Door Skins – Optional Carbon Fibre being Made.
MERCEDES Single Sweep Windscreen Wiper Switch.
Custom Switch Panel located on Transmission Tunnel.
Passenger Footwell Access Panel DZUS Fastened for access to Turbo Housing and Exhaust System.
Body: Painted ROSSO CORSA Red in SPIES HECKER Two Pack from Bare Metal/Fibreglass.
Featured and Displayed in the 1991 BRISBANE MOTORSHOW.
Fibreglass Lightweight Componets: Bonnet – ALFA ROMEO GTV6 Style.
Door Skins – Standard ALFA ROMEO Outside Skin Profile.
Group 2/4 Guards.
Rear Widened ALFA ROMEO 1.8 GT Style.
Rear Hatch ALFA ROMEO 1.8 GT Style with Integrated Rear Spoiler.
Front GP SPORTSCARS Spoiler Incorporating Splitter, Brake Ducts,
Bumper, and Raised Venturi Undertray .
Glass: ALFA ROMEO GT / GTV Laminated Front Windscreen.
PERSPEX Door, Rear Quarter, and Rear Hatch Window Panels.
To be updated......
Old 02-22-2010, 01:14 AM

Impressive specs!!!!!!

Regards, Alvaro.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:43 AM

John McLean Motors still exists in Brisbane - give them a call and see what info they can provide.

Good luck with the car.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 AM

Peter,

the list of modifications is huge and the car I;m sure will impress.

when do you intend to get out there again?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:42 AM

Hi gtv27 and 116gtv, thanks for the responses.
I've been talking to Vin Sharp at PACE who has an early pic of the car in a book when it was in PYE colours, so am chasing this up at the moment next time I'm over there.
Handy to know John McLean Motors still exist, will try to do a search for them to see what info they can recall if the relevant people are still there.
As to how the car is going, I'm in the process of finishing off a Tow car which will be finished in a few weeks.
I'm in the process of laying-up new fibreglass parts for it at the moment, in between other jobs which have priority ( other spoilers and Cold-Airboxes, etc, so these need to be done first ), however have my Red Gelcoat in now for these parts, so hopefully very soon.
Also will be making some Carbon Fibre parts to modernise it a bit, but all reversable so it could be run in the Historic Sports Sedan Series if it gets off the ground.
Will also be fitting in the new exhaust asap too.
Best Regards, Peter.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:36 PM

Just wondering - does that 400hp engine have a monoblock liner?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 AM

Will have to check that for you.
Does anyone have contact details for John McLean Motors in Brisbane as I am having trouble searching them on the Net.
Many Thanks.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:49 PM

Engine has no momo-liner, standard sleaves.
I can take a few pics for you of the car in a few weeks as car is away at the moment - getting a few things made for it presently.
Best Regards.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:12 AM

Mclean Motors
39 Queens Rd, Everton Hills, QLD 4053

p: 07 33531455

The only McLean Motors listing I could find - hope it is the right one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.