Alfa Romeo 1978 116 GT Sports Sedan History and Pics. - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums > General Forums > Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 AM

Thanks alfahaka for that. Pics arrived on Word Document and had fun transfering them to upload, not to mention fun trying to compress the others which I haven't managed yet, but will try again when time allows.
I think as far as the Rehab goes, I'm as good as I'll ever get, so at least it did the job to get me to where I am now.
Going over to dust her off today if all goes well, and arrange to get her home to give her some love, so will take a few pics whilst there if I remember the camera so I can upload a few.
With regards to the Class she raced in bshorey, Sports Sedans is generally a name for 4 Door Sedans that have a Sporting Pedigree, however, the Class refered to here in Australia is loosley based on this concept, with a bit of flexability allowing cars with the ability to seat 4 as Manufactured from the Original Manufacturer elligible. This makes 2 Door 4 Seater Cars are elligible to Race. This was done to encourage a wider Range of Cars being elligible to Race in the Sports Sedan Class here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to OzMidnight
Hi Bruce, this may shed some light. ASSA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Got to pick up a few parts for her yesterday where she's been Garaged whilst arranging to get her Picked-up and Transported home on a Flat Bed Truck for Delivery later today.
Have taken a few pics of the Drivers Re-Upholstered Original Recaro Race Seat for her and attatched below.
Name:  Alfa Romeo 116 GT Race Sports Sedan Race Seat Retrimmed 001.jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  Alfa Romeo 116 GT Race Sports Sedan Race Seat Retrimmed 002.jpg
Views: 2413
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  Alfa Romeo 116 GT Race Sports Sedan Race Seat Retrimmed 003.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  55.3 KB
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 AM

Well, she's finally home, waiting for some TLC to be thrown her way, along with the new Panels.
Name:  Compressed Alfa Romeo 116 GT Race Sports SedanPick-up - Home 11-11-2010 010.jpg
Views: 2249
Size:  44.5 KB
Old 11-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to OzMidnight
Lovely - wish mine was even half as pretty.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Like one Forum member said, 'just add money and stir', although I think a lot of it also comes down to how much you can do yourself, what materials and components you can afford and choose, and how much love is put into the 'mix'.
I remember my first car was a non runner which went through 4 engine rebuilds, and I had next to no money, so my Dad and I just sorted the problems out one at a time as they arose, and I put in a lot of lateral (legal) thinking to get her looking as good as she did.
It was just a lot of hard work and time and effort, but down the track things improve and if we still have the same Dreams, we get more chances to live that elusive Dream.
As long as we enjoy what we do, it won't seem like as hard of a job than it actually is.
And at the end of the day, you're doing it to enjoy, so weather it's a 40yo 105, or a Lamborghini that has just come off the Factory Floor, if it's what we love, then enjoy !
Will upload a few more pics as soon as she' had some TLC.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Here's a pic of the Dash Layout, note the Adjustable Boost Knob under the Dash infront of the Gear Stick.
Name:  Alfa Romeo 116 GT Race Sports Sedan Dash 12-11-2010 003.jpg
Views: 2233
Size:  56.0 KB
Old 11-14-2010, 09:33 AM

Here's a few more pics - thanks alfahaka for the help resizing them to fit the AlfaBB sizing format.
Name:  SandownPits1989crop700w[1].jpeg
Views: 1948
Size:  84.3 KB
1989 Sandown 500 Pits, Sandown Raceway, Victoria, Australia.
Name:  LastCornerOranParkFrontCrop[1].jpeg
Views: 2054
Size:  82.5 KB
Oran Park Last Corner - Cameron McLean, Oran Park Raceway, NSW, Australia.
Name:  LakesideCarousel19900729crop700w[1].jpeg
Views: 2157
Size:  60.7 KB
Lakeside Carousel - Cameron McLean, Lakeside Raceway, Queensland, Australia.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Name:  Sandown500PitsJohnGearboxPreHolingerCrop700w[1].jpeg
Views: 1987
Size:  64.2 KB
1989 Sandown Pits with John McLean working on the Gearbox, Pre Holinger Gearbox, for Sandown 500 Supports at Sandown Raceway, Victoria, Australia.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:03 PM

Just a technical update:
She's actually a 1975 and not 1978 as the Alfa BB Thread Heading States.
Built by Alfa Romeo with a Manufactured Date of: 20 June 1975.
Model Designation: Alfa Romeo GT 1.8 ( 116.11 ).
Original Body Colour: Hawthorn White.
Original Interior Colour: Black Tex.
Sold New on: 23 June 1975.
Sold New to: Alfa Romeo Australia.
If you refer to the Original Pye Sponsored Pics attatched previously, shows her in the Original Colour, and Now still in her Red Dress as shown in the latest Pics attatched.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon8 View Post
Engine has no momo-liner, standard sleaves.
I can take a few pics for you of the car in a few weeks as car is away at the moment - getting a few things made for it presently.
Best Regards.
I built 1 engine and one spare bottom end for Burns for his efforts in this car. Both were only fitted with standard liners, but recessed for Cooper rings for the cylinder head seal. These were ok when everything went right using electronic management system(400+hp), but still ran it rich and very conservatively on ignition advance. ANY hint of detonation and the liner was split instantly. I used to keep him in supply of spare liners with a mild taper machined inside at the bottom, so that in the paddock at events, the head could be lifted and the cracked sleeve lifted out, the new tapered one put down over the piston/rings and all back and going in a couple of hours!
The cars original Autodelta 16v engine did have a mono-sleeve. This engine is under my bench.........
Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM

BENINCA MOTORS turbo alfetta

Thought this clip may interest all the Alfetta lovers on this thread! If I had the funds I would build an Alfetta Turbo car for everyday use and surprise all them BMW M3 runners!

Last edited by alfatwincam; 12-30-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:07 PM

Great post alfatwincam, I recall seeing Dominics Turbo GTV back at Sandown Raceway, Victoria, a long time ago, when it was Green, and before this when it was Previously Yellow.
Way back then I approached Dominic and Joe regarding building one, but it ended up being a little bit out of my league then, but eventually ended up with quite a good one anyway.
Also recall seeing Tony Edmonsons V8 GTV Sports Sedan race at Sandown too, which was a monster.
Anyway, thanks for the post.
Here's a pic of my new project.
Name:  Alfa Romeo Carbon8 V8 Turning a Dream into Reality 31-12-2010.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  74.0 KB

Last edited by carbon8; 01-11-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM

After Owning My Alfa 1975 116 GT Sports Sedan Race Car since 1996, it's now time to Sell her after her Rebuild is Finished soon.

Will be keeping her Rebuild to reflect her Historic Build to be Elligible to be Raced in the Historic Sports Sedan Racing Class, State or Australian Sports Sedan Racing Class', Alfa Romeo Club Racing Class, and any other relevant Class' of Racing.

As such, I will be leaving her with her Original Hollinger Group A 5 Speed Manual Gearbox.

Other Specs are as Listed at the Start of this Thread.

Only exceptions will be with the Replacement of:
Brand New Hand Laminated Fibreglass Custom Front Spoiler/Bumper ( Would need to be changed for Historic Racing Only ),
Brand New Hand Laminated Fibreglass Outer Door Skins,
Brand New Hand Made Side Perspex/Lexan Windows,
Re-Mounted Original Retrimmed Race Seat,
Brand New Exhaust,
and a General Clean Up.

Will be looking to have Her Auctioned when Finished, so will keep those Interested updated through this Thread.

Selling due to New Project as mentioned above, and to keep Her Original.

If anyone is Interested in Purchasing her, you can also contact me through a Personal Message on the Thread.

Best Regards.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 PM

I've just had a Request from a BB Member regarding my Cars Rear Guard Flares, Wheel / Tyre Clearance, and Overall Cars Width, so have attatched some info below for anyone else Interested.

Total Width of Sports Sedan is: 1.820 meters / 182.0 cm / or Imperial 5' 11 5/8" Wide - Front and Rear.

The Rear Guard / Flare and Wheel / Tyre Clearance between the Outside of the Wheel / Tyre Combination and the Inside of the Rear Guard / Flare is: 9.0 cm / or Imperial 3 1/2" Clearance.

Front and Rear Wheel Combination is: Simmons 3 Piece Lightweight 15" Diameter x 10" Wide Wheels.

Front and Rear Tyre Combination is: Dunlop Slick Race 265 / 570 - 15 Profile Tyres.

Name:  Compressed Pic of Alfa Sports Sedan Rear LHS Wheel Arch Pics 12-02-2011 Tape Measure Looking Dow.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  33.0 KB

Rear LHS Guard Showing Tape Measure of Outside Tyre / Wheel Clearance.

Name:  Compressed Pic of Alfa Sports Sedan Rear LHS Wheel Arch Pics 12-02-2011 Looking Up.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  27.2 KB

Rear LHS Guard Clearance Looking Up from Under the Rear Guard.

Name:  Compressed Pic of Alfa Sports Sedan Rear LHS Wheel Arch Pics 12-02-2011 Looking Forward.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  34.5 KB

Rear LHS Wheel Arch Looking Forward.

Name:  Compressed Pic of Alfa Sports Sedan Rear LHS Wheel Arch Pics 12-02-2011 Tape Measure Outside Tyr.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  37.1 KB

Rear LHS Guard Tyre / Wheel Clearance Rearward View.

Name:  Compressed Alfa Romeo 116 GT Race Sports SedanPick-up - Home 11-11-2010 001.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  76.8 KB

Side View of Sports Sedan when Picked-up from Storage before Work Begun to Clean up and Replace New Lightweight Fibreglass Outer Door Skins, New Aluminium Inner Door Panels, New Perspex Door Windows, New Perspex Rear Quarter Windows, New Lightweight Fibreglass Front Incorporated Bumper and Airdam Spoiler, New Exhaust Piping from Turbo Back Running Out Under Passangers Door, Re-Fitted Re-Trimmed Drivers Seat, and a General Clean-up and Paint.

Last edited by carbon8; 02-13-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.