Alfa Romeo 1978 116 GT Sports Sedan History and Pics. - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums > General Forums > Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon8 View Post
Had a few pics sent to me via email from Cameron McLean who Raced the Car earlier on in its life, - which was really nice to open up - like looking through a time glass into my cars history.
Thanks Cameron so much.
Anyway, will add a few more as they arrive or turn up.
To view click on the attatchment, open view, then rotate pics.
As a service to public health (to prevent further neck injuries) pics are below...
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 04:25 AM

Many Thanks Darryl for that. Tried to edit them but one of the users on our home PC ( Kids !!! ) has modified our Editing Software but not owning up to it - so I don't know what they've done - so have to sort it out when I get a free couple of hours - or days !!! , so thanks for the pics you've edited for the thread. Best Regards, Peter.

Last edited by carbon8; 07-16-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 AM

hay carbon do you have any apdated pics of it now ?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 PM

Hi Storm X, I've been waiting for a freind to get back from a Motorbike Tour up the top of Australia, but only spoke to him today as he's just got back - he just decided to go and off he went - you know, if I don't do it now will I regret it later when I can't do it. Anyway, will be getting her back next week hopefully, just have to make room as 'My Mustard Girl' is in the way. Have been trying to sort out the legalaties in the meantime of putting a Maserati V8 into my other 1750 GT Veloce, 'My White Bella', as Vicroads new rules have changes to the Engines Total Allowable Capacity done last November. So trying to sort out the best way to reduce the capacity of the Maserati V8 from 4244cc to 4160cc - seen Engineering Workshop farmiliar with this and it seems like I'll need to have the Engine Sleaves bored out, New Sleaves fitted ( 1mm decrease in width per piston - such a needless expense ), and New Custom Pistons and Rings, then of course, a New Gasket Set, etc,...... as the best option, at least it'll be as New then. Anyway, hoping next week some time and can update then, giving her a Spring Clean to welcome her back. When all done, she'll then be elligible for the Historic Sports Sedan Class to be Raced in.
Best Regards.

Last edited by carbon8; 11-03-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 AM

Looking at those pics; that is one Wide 116.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Hi Veloce 1600, need them to fit the 15" and 16" Diameter x 10" Wide Race Wheels Under the Guards.
The Maximum Wheel Width allowed under the Sports Sedan Racing Regulations over here is 10" Wide, which is why the car runs the Maximum size allowed to get the power to the Track and point it in the right direction. The New Front Spoiler I've designed and made a Mould for will help in the Front End Grip area too when I get around to Laying one up and fitting it to her similar to the Drawing on this Thread. Best Regards.

Last edited by carbon8; 11-05-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 AM

It's just amazing. In my youth, I raced SCCA with VW rabbit GTi's. I raced across Alfetta GT's, and saw plenty of GTV6's at the track. In fact, those GTV6's are the reason I became an Alfisti when I got older. But that widebody look has now become my favorite looking Alfa ever, even beating the GTV stepnose.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:06 AM

Thats quite a compliment for Her. I've made Moulds from Her for the Guards, Rear Bumper, Rear Bumper Brackets, Rear Quarters and Guards, Rear Hatch, Front Airdam/Bumper, so if you ever feel the need, let me know and I can make some for you to empty you Pockets over - to Live the Dream.
Funny how some memories stay implanted in our head so long after they make that impact on us.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 AM

Carbon;

I've been thinking something about your last comment on the white bella project. Since you had already purchased the Maserati driveline before the regulations were changed; can you not apply for an exemption to the change since the project was started using the last version of the rules???
As far as the GTV bodywork, don't tempt me, I'm already looking for a good Alfetta GT project to build an autocross car from.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Hi Veloce 1600, shame you're not over here as there is a GTV with Roll Cage and Transmission for sale at the moment on Ebay for $102.50 titled Alfa Romeo GTV Project - 1 day to go and only 2 bids.
The 'My White Bella' Alfa is only in the Infancy Stages, with the Engine and Transaxle in the UK, waiting to hear back to arrange the Shipping details.
As far as the Rules are for her, as it's a New Build, I need to Comply with the New VicRoads Registration requirements, thus having to have the Engine Bored Out, Re-Sleaved with 1mm Thinner Liners, New Custom Pistons, Rings, Gaskets, etc......... when the Engine arrives.
Tried to get one with All the Rear End complete, but they no longer had the other components, so will need to search those out.
But should be quite quick when all is done for a Road Registered car, similar Power Output to My Red Sports Sedan, and not much heavier as I'll be Lightening her as much as possible without upsetting the Engineer and the VicRoads Registration Compliance with Carbon Fibre GTAm Guards, Doors, Bonnet, Boot, Dash, Interior Panels, Airbox, etc, etc,...... you get the idea.
Been thinking about it and may need to Vent some areas of the car to Reduce the Heat in the Engine Bay / Front Guard areas.
Even though I intend to use my Jordan F1 Undertray and Rear Diffuser at the back end to Draw out the air, I may need to Design a Nice Front Spoiler to Balance the car out, will just have to see what I can come up with.
But at the moment, getting the Drive Line over from the UK to Australia is my First Prioroty, as it takes up to a Two Months by Sea - wouldn't even contemplate what it Costs by Air.
In the mean time, Live the Dream.

Last edited by carbon8; 11-05-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to OzMidnight
Quote:
But at the moment, getting the Drive Line over from the UK to Australia is my First Prioroty, as it takes up to a Two Months by Sea - wouldn't even contemplate what it Costs by Air.
Cabin luggage?

I'm surprised you might be able to run all the composite panels, with even CF bonnets on some cars getting defected due to affecting crumple zones, etc. Great if you can, though!

Sports sedan class is allowed 4" extra width per side to cover rims, as seen from plan view.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:31 PM

Hi OzMidnight, the Engineer Confirmed if it was available on the GTAm I can do this, therefore the use of 'Plastic' Guards, Boot, Bonnet, Doors. If you want more info on that Build click onto my Thread under the Alfa Romeo Technical Forums > GT (1965-1974) > My 1750 Bella - Rebuilding a Series 2 105 1750 GT Velocs Coupe. Best Regards.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Just been able to compress two pics sent to me from Cameron McLean, when he drove the car back in 1989-90. Thankyou Cameron for that.
This is Cameron Driving the Alfa Sports Sedan in the Sandown 500 Support Race at Turn One in 1989 at Springvale, Melbourne, Victoria.
Name:  Alfa GT Sports Sedan Cameron McLean 1989 Sandown 500 Support Turn One.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  28.5 KB
And this one is Cameron at Oran Park, NSW, through the Last Corner in the same period. Enjoy.
Name:  Alfa GT Sports Sedan Oran Park Last Corner Front View.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  23.8 KB
Old 11-09-2010, 05:03 AM

Something unfortunate re aspect ratio on that pic... Fixed.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Just been able to compress two pics sent to me from Cameron McLean, when he drove the car back in 1989-90. Thankyou Cameron for that.
This is Cameron Driving the Alfa Sports Sedan in the Sandown 500 Support Race at Turn One in 1989 at Springvale, Melbourne, Victoria.
Attachment 192268
And this one is Cameron at Oran Park, NSW, through the Last Corner in the same period. Enjoy.
Attachment 192272
Great looking car, great story, I really like how you're using it as part of your rehab.

I do have one question - why is it referred to as a 'Sports Sedan'? I thought those were the four door Alfettas. We always called these 'coupes', or 'GT'. Is it the series you're racing in?

Keep the pictures coming! Also looking forward to pics of the progress.

bs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.