REAL fix for ARC blinking lights - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:14 AM

EXCELLENT fix!!! I fixed a spare ARC last weekend (never worked right) and it worked so well I also fixed my good (but still with blinking lights) ARC. Both work great. Best fix ever. I even decided to spend the time and install a resistor to get rid of my low oil light (GTV6 engine). No more lights!!!

As far as the standoff is concerned. I used some 1/8" aluminum tube cut to the right length as a standoff and then just riveted it all back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to super-racer
Great fix Tom! Thanks to your insight and Nizam's help I got mine fixed tonight. I've owned this car forever and tonight was the first night I saw the ARC function correctly. This is awesome!

Fabrizio
post #33 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 04:52 PM

After finding this thread I immediately went to radio shack to buy a new voltage regulator and tried the fix.
It definitely works!
No more random blinking lights! I can actually rely on my ARC to give correct information about my Milano now! Thanks for your hard work in finding this fix.

post #34 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 01:54 AM

Thumbs up

Excellent! It worked for me too. Thanks for the fix.

The only warning light I get now is the 'warning lamp efficiency' warning light. I'd like to fix this but I don't know where to begin. Anyone got any ideas?
Attached Images

post #35 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa View Post
The only warning light I get now is the 'warning lamp efficiency' warning light. I'd like to fix this but I don't know where to begin. Anyone got any ideas?
This should indicate a problem with one or more of the following:

Oil pressure warning lamp
Coolant temp warning lamp
Low fuel warning lamp

Craig,
1988 75 TS, 1989 164
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:55 PM

Cheers Craig.
post #37 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM

Finally found my spare ARC and did this fix, great fix! Instead of using a rivet I just got some standoffs from Radio Shack (276-1381), shaved them down a bit on the grinder wheel and used a slightly longer screw on the side going through the heat sink. Works great now, thanks for figuring out this fix!

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
)
post #38 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 PM

One thing you might want to try is to clean the contacts of the ARC. I did this with a dremel tool and the blinking stopped. The mylar embedded contacts can corrode and still look fine. This is also recommended for the speedo guage cluster, or any contacts for that matter. Took two seconds.

'58 Sprint
'82 Spider Veloce
'84 GTV-6
'89 Milano Gold
'93 164L auto
'95 Corvette C4 targa auto
'00 BMW 323 Sportwagon auto [wife's car]

The Rock

post #39 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Well, it's been working flawlessly ever since the redo with the thermal grease. Based on all the feedback (and helping Andy fix his Verde last week) I think I'm going to call this one good. I cleaned up the procedure and wrote it up as a tech article for the ARA newsletter - it should go out in the July issue.

Thanks to all who tested this out.

Tom

1991 Spider
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
post #40 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to AlfaNewB Send a message via MSN to AlfaNewB
i didnt read the entire thread, but on a car you have 12 volts for power your negative for ground and a 5 volt reference, the 5 volt reference is a signal wire to the ECU, now dose this arc have any connnectiosn to the ECU, or dose it just have sensors connected directly from the ARC?
post #41 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 PM

I do not think there is anything going to the ECU. the ECU even has its own wireing harness(WITH NO FUESES)
The ARC is 2 parts the mane part is over the glovebox and this is where everone thought the problem was before. The other part is just the display board. but the display board is where the real problem was. so every one was looking at the wrong part so this is why no one could fix it. there was nothing wrong with the part everone looked at.

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
post #42 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Well, it's been working flawlessly ever since the redo with the thermal grease. Based on all the feedback (and helping Andy fix his Verde last week) I think I'm going to call this one good. I cleaned up the procedure and wrote it up as a tech article for the ARA newsletter - it should go out in the July issue.
Could you post up this new tech article for those of us who drive with kangaroos and koalas in the passenger seat?

ROCK ON
R~R
post #43 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie ROX View Post
Could you post up this new tech article for those of us who drive with kangaroos and koalas in the passenger seat?
Just use a mirror to read it

Ok, all jokes aside the ARC display is one part of the car where LHD/RHD doesn't matter.

Craig,
1988 75 TS, 1989 164
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR]
&
post #44 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie ROX View Post
I'd pay to see that

Basically it's almost verbatim what I had in the first and third post in this thread...just cleaned it up, added some details, and an additional picture

Tom

1991 Spider
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
post #45 of 156 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 PM

First of all: Thanks for this terrific fix!!!!

I'm a relative new Alfa 75 owner,but I've been reading about this "cronic" problem (witch I had too) and your discover must be WORLDWIDE commented! I change it with a 7805 too and now I got two stops:the blinking lights and the "what is this?" question of my passengers!

After the fix I got two warnings: "Parking lights and rear fog lights efficiency warning light" AND the front left "open door warning light" ONLY when I turn on the master lights. Weird behavior!
Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode