Prop shaft vibration - success - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mechanic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Prop shaft vibration - success

Hi All,

I have had a prop shaft vibration in a 1990 75 TS. I had replaced the entire prop shaft with an allegedly good, non vibrating unit, realigned the tranny (raised it at the front), replaced tranny and motor mounts and replaced the center mount. No change....

I noted that the rear guibo spigot diameter where it fits over the nose of the clutch shaft allowed some radial play (before the rear guibo bolts were torqued). This play would allow for the rear prop shaft to not be centered on the clutch shaft and result in a mass imbalance. Without time to further investigate, i assembled and drove the car.... for some time...

Anyway, i finally got around to further investigation of this radial clearance - either the guibo or clutch shaft (it was the guibo 0.7mm oversize bore). While apart i also noted some radial play in the spherical bush on the end of the rear prop shaft. Instead of replacing the bush, i replaced the rear prop shaft with a spare. I also had the clutch/rear flywheel balanced (it was perfect) and fitted a rear guibo that was a snug fit on the clutch shaft.
I paid no attention to returning nuts/bolts/washers to their original placement and I mixed and matched prop shafts sections without consideration of alignment. Viola! the entire rev range is like tearing silk.
alfaparticle and archeologist like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode