Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Rusted lower shock nut and corroded dedion linkage bolt

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Mark_toro 
#1 ·
Need some pointers guys before I ruin things and cut stuff off.

All in the name of replacing rear springs.

Firstly, trying to in release lower bolts on Koni rear shock, 1st nut off, 2nd nut rusted in place. As shock just spins, I can't get enough leverage to shock the lower nut loose. I need to release the lower half from the dedion to fit the new springs.

Secondly, on the other side, the bolt holding the dedion arm to the body is corroded into the small metal bush sleeve, it's loose, but I can't knock it through.

Any tips?

#3 ·
My Koni's both yellows and reds have "flats" either side before the thread an adjustable spanner or wrench should hold it as you undo the 2nd nut
or as a last resort use stiltsons [and a rag to protect the paint] to hold the tube until the 2nd nut releases

cheers

Attachments

#5 ·
No squared off end on my yellow konis.

So this is what it took......
Nut splitter....... That only did half the job before the blade on that chipped.
Then in with a dremel disc cutter.
Once that was down to almost the thread, out came the cold chisel.
That did it.

As for the dedion linkage, that wasn't budging. The bolt was corroded to the inner sleeve.
Unless I had an angle grinder, which I don't, the wasn't enough room with the spring in the way to remove it.

So with all but the RHD dedion, everything was removed to put the new eibach springs in.

Although the side with the stuck dedion, the only was was to compress the spring by 5cm, then dremel cut off the top part of the Spring. That removed the old Spring. Thankfully the eibach springs are shorter. So with a bit of compression from the Spring compressors, and some wiggling, I got it in.

What a faff.

#10 ·
Buy a cheap angle grinder the next time you are out. One of the most valuable tools in my box! Glad you got through this one. Old rusty cars are fun, aren't they!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.