Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Great but sad article

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  1750GT 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Man you experienced about every Milano madly I've ever read about.
In 18 years of Milano ownership the only thing I've ever had was a broken clutch pivot ball, lucky I guess.
I'm impressed that you're willing to put yourself through it again!

#9 ·
If you have the fortitude to go through all of that trouble and stick with the car until the end, and now are ready to dive in again, you should / need to build a 24 Hours of Lemons Milano or GTV6.

This will give you more of what you have been experiencing. ;-)

Greg

#13 ·
I would be happy with a Milano that I could drive to a park on the weekend, let alone on the racetrack! I'm delusional by all accounts, but can't seem to make the financials of racing make sense to even me haha.

Graham,

Law of averages says your next Milano will be the best one that ever rolled off the assembly line!

Glad you and the puppy got out safe.

Cheers!

Andy
Thanks, and I really hope so. Either way, this time I'll attack it with from a preventative point of view, though who the hell has heard of a torsion bar snapping?!

Man I saw a post about this in The Car Lounge. So sorry to hear about the fire. It was your post in TCL that got me started looking for a Milano.

Your next Milano will be better...karma says so. I think that grey Verde that was for sale in NYC on ebay a few months ago (along with the very mint black one) might still be for sale.
If anyone can find contact information for that car or a completed listing, I'd be very interested. I couldn't find it on ebay completed listings. I'll search through the BB since I think I saw someone post a link there.

I've known of many of these types of incidents involving fires in workshops. Please don't be offended, but invest in a good fire extinguisher, and have it handy whenever working on the engine, especially during startup.

I personally have a large CO2 extinguisher. That way, you don't have powder all over everything if you ever have to use it.

I've also known people to burn down their shops while welding, grinding, etc. Sparks can find there way into areas and smolder.

And the worst is that I have personally known two individuals that have been crushed by cars while working on them. Don't take any shortcuts.

Please, please don't take shop safety lightly.
I appreciate the honesty, and it will be the absolute first thing I buy for the new shop. One for each end of the shop. They need to be ready to use too. No use in having one if it takes you two minutes to get it out and ready to use.

As for sparks, that is another great consideration. I have seen people put up a thin metal sheet on their shop walls to contain the grinding sparks. Having a good plan of action and the right type/capacity of fire extinguisher would have saved me from a lot of unneccessary pain here.

#11 ·
Man I saw a post about this in The Car Lounge. So sorry to hear about the fire. It was your post in TCL that got me started looking for a Milano.

Your next Milano will be better...karma says so. I think that grey Verde that was for sale in NYC on ebay a few months ago (along with the very mint black one) might still be for sale.

#12 ·
Sorry about this incident. Glad you're okay

I've known of many of these types of incidents involving fires in workshops. Please don't be offended, but invest in a good fire extinguisher, and have it handy whenever working on the engine, especially during startup.

I personally have a large CO2 extinguisher. That way, you don't have powder all over everything if you ever have to use it.

I've also known people to burn down their shops while welding, grinding, etc. Sparks can find there way into areas and smolder.

And the worst is that I have personally known two individuals that have been crushed by cars while working on them. Don't take any shortcuts.

Please, please don't take shop safety lightly.

#15 ·
NOOO! Even from a distance I liked that car, I even read the whole build thread... :'(

My greatest sympathy is with you as you lost a couple great cars. Glad you and your dog made it out alright and from now on I will always have a fire extinguisher when I work with fuel or ignition. I hope you find a new Milano just as good as the one you lost.

Miguel

#18 ·
i loved reading both of your blogs .....you writing style made for very entertaining reading....although yes the first event was rather sad. Heck you're even making me want to go out and buy a more modern Alfa built in Milano ....at least more modern than the one I'm restoring at the moment. :smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.