Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Junk Yard Dog

12K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  spydaman 
#1 ·
A very good friend found this Milano languishing in junk yard. Naturally, I had to save it.

1987 Milano Gold. Under the bonnet is a surprise

Meth injected supercharged 2.5L. Eaton M90 supercharger. Hydro-boost brakes.

Unfortunately, the motor is toast, but I do have a spare.

More to come on that later.

Cheers!

See less See more
#9 ·
Awesome score! >:)

What computer does it use? And I hope you get another intercooler for it.

#11 ·
Through the years, I've become much less surprised that this sort of thing happens. One of the dismaying things which one becomes aware of as they age I'm afraid. Seen my share of things, including cars, let go just because...

#13 · (Edited)
Googled "greg armstrong milano" and got a link...

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Forum

A few quotes from that site -
"Greg's Supercharged Milano has slightly under 300hp but has mondo torque down low."
" Electromotive Tec-II programmable ECU's."
"BTW, Greg Armstrong was selling the supercharged Milano... it could be yours for the low low price of $12,000! ;-)"

A pity though, the link to 'fastalfas' website with more pictures is down.

Edit:
another link, working, with pictures.
http://alfacentro.com/features/v6fest/

#14 ·
I love all of the info you guys are posting regarding this car. Especially the burnout pics! HAHA

Car was rediscovered in FL, and shipped to me in the dead of winter, through a snow storm.

Poor Car!

Get that salt off

For some reason, the rear drivers side tire is on backwards

Unfortunately, the engine had no antifreeze in the coolant and it was frozen solid, even the expansion tank was completely full and frozen.

Quick tour

I'm in the process of relocating, so I had to immediately load it up for another road trip to my new locale.

Haulin a$$

Again salty, upon arrival, straight to the car wash

Another good friend rented a garage at his apartment complex to serve as my temp shop while I transition. The car is not running, so I had to winch it on the trailer, then use the starter motor to back it off.

Apparently, the knuckleheads at the junkyard were intrigued by the car and were messing with it. They couldn't get it started so they poured raw fuel in the plenum and backfired the motor causing the timing belt to jump. I hoped there wasn't severe damage, so I began disassembling to verify timing.

Custom supercharger bracket..... the engineering on these mods is fantastic

Not sure what the extra holes are for, they were plugged when I got it.

I love the relocated oil fill cap, very nice work.

The bracketry for the supercharger, and belt tensioner are very nicely engineered. I have failed to provide pics, but will follow up on re-assembly.

Plenum hold down straps! For BOOOOST!

Smaller throttle body, not sure from what yet.

Timing checks out, everything looks polished and clean.

Heads need to come off for further investigation

So here we go, exhaust was fully welded from the downpipes all the way back.

FL stowaway

Water pump was leaking, and it was running without a T-stat at all.

Temp shop

Moment of truth

Disaster.......pistons are damaged

Badly bent valves

More work to come. I am excited about getting these issues addressed and getting this car back together.

Big injectors

Much more to come!

Cheers!

#19 ·
LUCKY!!! My junkyard Milano didnt come with a supercharger and a cool back story... ;)

I hope it makes its way back to life as the story itself is soooo cool.

Good Luck with the Project!

Miguel

#21 ·
Working in a temp shop is a pain. But I am grateful to have a place to work until I move into my permanent shop.

Been travelling a bunch and finally got a good couple days to get some work done. I planned on getting more done than I actually did, but things were taking about 5 times longer than I anticipated.

Thanks to all who have posted info about this car's past, some pics I found from its glory days.

Water cooled intercooler which I do not have. I may run an air to air intercooler.

Setting lash

Temp Shop Annex

Inspect bottom end

Proof that we should carefully apply RTV

The overall condition of the internals of the motor are great. Too bad those knuckleheads at the junk yard damaged the heads.

Random shots, meth injection tubing and battery cable to trunk.

Rusty oil filter

Deburr and smooth the piston damage.....run it!!!!

The oil supply bungs are larger on the later year blocks. I had to machine the heads to accept the larger bungs............

Pic of early style bung

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to work on it again for another month!!!

Until next time........

Cheers

#22 ·
What a great find! I look forward to further posts on the car's resurrection. Is the guy who built it still around?

Rescuing cars like that can be a very satisfying thing. My son and I doing the same with a 3 litre one at present. It didn't come with all those lovely extras, but has an impeccable mechanical history, having been serviced by the same Alfa mechanic all its life. It too has suffered cosmetically from being out in the weather for three years but looks much better, after I detailed it inside and out. It took me three weeks of hard work to get it running properly, but it ticks over like a clock now. The timing belt is the next job.

Good luck with the project.

#25 ·
Super cool to read this post. Hope to read that it's running soon. How much did the junk yard let it go for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.