An SZ in the USA. Will someone buy it? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Gold Subscriber

Many people here may be missing my point. I never meant to compare a modern BMW with an SZ. I was saying for a certain amount of money I would buy something else. Be it an M3, 911 Turbo or a different Alfa. All I was trying to convey, was that FOR ME 70 to 80K was too much. For someone else it might be just right for the car they want and covet. I have had my eye a 1963 Spider on Ebay for a bit, and at $70,000 that is what I might go for. Some may think that is not a good buy either, or too much, or not collectible enough, but for me that's what I would chose to do.

current and or past: 1987 Milano (Ariel) 1984 GTV6 (Sabrina) 1992 164L (Jill) 1992 164S (Kelly) 1989 Spider Veloce (Julie) 1991 164L (Chris) 1991 Spider (Melissa)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I hear you Alfatango.
If I were a normal Alfisti, with just enough money to buy one $70K car,
I would try to buy a decent Montreal.
And as to buying the black 63 Spider, that is one you won't regret in the future I think.
We all have different things that float our boat.
If I could afford several cars at that price, I would get an SZ, for sure, as it speaks to me
on a basic level.
AlfaTango1 likes this.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #33 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
If you're gauging the market for a friend who wants to import one from Europe and flip it for profit, let me suggest this.

Those Alfisti who are truly in the market for the SZ/RZ are connoisseurs who know the car's rarity here and controversial "position". These customers are scarce at the $80k mark. Further, these buyers know the European market, are not faint of heart and are likely to just go ahead and import one themselves.

To import one strictly for resale is a recipe for a lot of work and up-front cash in return for little profit, in my humble opinion. But I'd love to see more on our shores.

Cheers, - Art
Anfanuts likes this.

post #34 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I hear you Art. Though I respectfully disagree on some points.
Most wealthy car enthusiasts I have met aren't willing to go through the process of finding a car in Europe, going through the process of hiring an inspector, transporting, etc,.
Most would rather buy here. In my experience.
And honestly, "flip for a profit" gets a really bad rap. Sounds easy, doesn't it?
BUT, it involves a lot of research and time spent finding cars, a huge risk in investing and getting it here. And quite often having to do work on it to bring it up to snuff.
"Profit" to me and my friend means having fun finding the right car, getting to Drive it, and not losing money when sold. If a profit can be had, cool. A Big profit?? Ultra cool, but not expected.

I put the 'target ' price at $70ish because, honestly, that is realistic. Ya, someone could get one here successfully for less, and I would heartily applaud them!! But it's unlikely, given the upward trend of the cars value in this current market.
Anfanuts likes this.

43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #35 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
That's a realistic approach HeavyM, and your definition of profit matches well with those realities. Your emphasis on having fun is a good focus too.

I was primarily thinking of a one-man importer who brings in some risky cars he likes, has had some very slim margins on controversial cars, hard to find top paying customers for those cars.

Kudos for bringing one or more over, though. I think the SZ is a very worthy car. I think they're awesome. Love the story of their genesis and 'Il Mostro' nickname.

Cheers,
- Art
post #36 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Glen,

Bring in an A-One quality SZ and make me a trade-plus-cash offer for my Monty.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #37 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

That is an intriguing thought Don.
But the "Plus cash" part is a bit of a wild card.

post #38 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Art, I've lost on some, broken even on many, made a bit on a few.
And won, on every one I got to drive.

And I'm luckier than most, I'll drive and enjoy cars most enthusiasts
would never dare !!
ejpoulsen likes this.

post #39 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Just responding to what I perceived as the gist of the thread. Or, I can sell my car, and take the cash and go buy whatever tickles my fancy next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalAlfa View Post

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #40 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Art, I've lost on some, broken even on many, made a bit on a few.
And won, on every one I got to drive.

And I'm luckier than most, I'll drive and enjoy cars most enthusiasts
would never dare !!
Ah,

A man I can identify with! I imported, with some risk 6 years ago,the first SZ into Australia. (There are 6 now). I cannot register on a club permit scheme (limited use for enthusiasts) until it is 25 years old - next year as it is a 1991 vehicle (#669).

I was mesmerised in 1989 when I first saw the SZ and despaired that none were coming to Australia and all were LHD.

Personal opinion: I have (or had) classic Ferraris, Maseratis, Lambos, Astons, Alfas and Bentleys. This car is a design tour de force, uncompromising, wrong (rear and rear 3/4 view), right (front and side). Importantly, the design was not diluted by bean counters and focus groups; both Zagato and AR were on the rocks and they styled bravely...bravo!

You will never see another car like this again...

By the way it leaves a lot of more expensive and powerful vehicles in the dust through the twisty bits...

Best Regards
Phil
Anfanuts and Rutlefan like this.
post #41 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:30 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
The fact of the matter is that an ES-30 SZ will never be as classic as a Monty (or any of the previous cars with SZ labelling). It is a 6 dressed up as a 9.

If you'd throw a 147 GTA into the mix, I think the 147 GTA would win every time against the ES-30.

-Ruedi
'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, now being restored in Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).

Last edited by tubut; 02-10-2015 at 12:35 AM. Reason: a
post #42 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 AM

You either like the SZ or not!

So back to the orginal question: Anybody going to import this car to US. Privately or collectively?

GK.
Attached Images

post #43 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:52 AM

^looks oddly familiar
post #44 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:09 AM

I think the proud owner

GK.
post #45 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ToonRboy Send a message via Skype™ to ToonRboy
Hey Heavy,

The problem with the equation is that a vehicle like this is a commodity for which there is a very small market at the price discussed. Sure a possibility, and maybe even probability. but in North America what's hot is still American Pony cars (to those of age and money who want something from their childhood - not may would be Alfa). For those involved in such a venture it spells RISK. Like any other commodity where the market is small - you may have to sit on it for some time before the right buyer comes along. Seeking exclusivity.

What a lot of people don't understand (and especially when you watch Top Gear) America is huge compared to European countries the size of a postage stamp (like the UK). So handling isn't as high on the list as POWER. The SZ is lacking in power compared to other vehicles that can be had for similar outlay. When you can purchase resto-mod Camaro'
s, Trans-Am's, Challengers, Barracuda's, Chevelles, Javelin's - you name it w/suspension kits that make them totally handle - or even late model Corvette's and Vipers for ~40k? You're up against it my friend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode