An SZ in the USA. Will someone buy it? - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Really? Just searched AutoScout24 in NL = 3, BE = 1 and DE = 3. Range from Euro 49k (@ 311k km) to Euro 100k (@10k km). Average of the 7 was Euro 71k ($75k) and an average of the 6 (excluding the one Euro 49k high km car @311k) was 36k km. Did not look at other sites nor in other countries. Perhaps cheaper in IT?? That is double the Euro 35 k you quote and more in-line with current US prices since the Euro is at ~1.07 now. Average of Euro 71k for average 36k km car. ANy Euro 35k SZ is old (KM), worn and tired.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 03-18-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:58 PM

Yes Really!
Anfanuts

My post is fact not hear say.

Two SZ's sold for approximately US $37,000 or under with 30,000 Miles or under ,with a 4 and 4.5 auction grade just last month.
These cars where of a high standard .Unlike the car you mentioned in a previous post with bonnet pins and other tell tale signs of track time.

Don't get me wrong I love these Zagato's . My sole reason for answering your post.Is to establish what the American market would be prepared to pay for these cars.
It will determine if I import 1 or 2 SZ's .
At this stage it appears ,if I buy two and sell one I will effectively get one free

John G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ToonRboy likes this.

Alfa 75 2.5 Auto(Red)
Alfa 75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Track car
Alfa 75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 226.3 Hp ATW (Grey).
post #153 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Ok sounds like a plan but I'm not holding my breath. Where did you see them for Euro 35k. Italy? Japan? Like I said, EuroClassix has brought 3 in from Japan so maybe they are tired of them there. What site? Not saying you didn't but my search of AS24 and MarktPlatz did not find cheap ones. The cheapest of the 7 I found at Euro 49k had 311,000 KM. Well used! Good luck.

10k km - E100,000
22k km - E76,000
26k km - E69,000
47k km - E76,000
48k km - E64,000
65k km - E63,000
311k km - E49,000

post #154 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM

anfanuts

Ok I read your previous posts .

Your one of these types who rants on about the highest prices achieved but conveniently omits the lower prices .

Old man here you go choke on these.

You managed to get one of the country's correct Japan .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alfa 75 2.5 Auto(Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
post #155 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:39 PM

An SZ in the USA. Will someone buy it?

links to cars currently available or recently sold

Alfa 75 2.5 Auto(Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)

Last edited by ALFA GTV6 GP; 03-19-2017 at 05:44 PM.
post #156 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:49 PM

Add these to your little misleading list ...

Alfa 75 2.5 Auto(Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
post #157 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:15 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It is misleading and indeed sad and dishonorable to cast aspersions about my motives of "wanting" a price or "misleading folks". I posted data. Since I do not plan on selling my SZ anytime in the future I have no interest in "seeing" any price. The market is what it is. I'm just trying to figure it out. I was just looking for backup references which you have now provided. I have perused the Euro/UK market as that is what is more easily and readily available here in he US.

Based on your data, it does seem that the Japanese SZ market is significantly lower than the US, UK or Euro market by 40%. That explains how EuroClassix can work that margin and make a profit as I suspected. What I infer from your data (@112 Yen/$ today) is: $44,500, 48,000, $39,000, $37,000, $35,000, 2 - Inquire, 2 sold but no price listed and link not live. The 5 posted prices average out at $41,000. The quality of the cars is open to debate but look to be moderate miles. On one of the auctions (the $39k one) an Oz commenters said, "Seems really cheap" and another, "Cheap vs. UK and Europe" and "Wonder why Japanese prices are so low on these cars." My thoughts exactly. So thanks for the data.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 03-20-2017 at 02:57 PM.
post #158 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to pgicante
All,

I have had my SZ since 2006 (since they were first able to be imported into Canada). Yes the panel gaps are massive and build quality is suspect, but that is to be expected with such a low production car that at the time used relatively advanced materials etc. It drives nothing like a Milano, and is still plenty fast and capable of getting you into trouble. To me the car presents much better in person, and I still do not tire of looking at it. Japanese prices have always been lower, but the ones I have come across have been poorly maintained or horribly modified. Ferrari of Quebec imported one from Japan and tried to flip it for $125k CAD but has since lowered the price to $95k.

In short a fascinating Alfa with Zagato ties and a car that made little to no sense to actually build for Alfa but they did. Has more presence than almost anything else available at the time (with the exception of the true supercars - XJ220 / F40)

I won't be selling mine anytime soon...

Regards,
Phil G
90 Alfa SZ
71 Jr Zagato

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Gray"][B]Phil Gicante[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]London, ON, Canada[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"][B]Current[/B]
1990 SZ - #118
1971 Jr Zagato 1300 - AR1800701
[B]Past[/B]
1970 GTJr
1989 Milano Verde
1988 Milano Gold[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
post #159 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Congrats!! Most owners reviews, as with YouTube reviews, are pretty much like this. Honest and positive. All say it looks better in person than pics and handles superbly. Really no comparison with a Milano. It has more useable power than I can fully use on public roads; I can finally keep up with minivans!! Most folks who have not seen or driven them are more negative. Hmmmmm.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 03-22-2017 at 03:49 PM.
post #160 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:40 PM

The styling on SZs will always be controversial, just like the Milano. I happen to love the way the Milano looks but don't really care for the SZ's design. I get that it's a special car and I'm sure the driving experience is amazing, but at $100,000 -- or even $50,000 -- I can think of plenty of other cars I'd rather own and are going to be easier to resell down the road.

When you can buy a Milano or GTV6 for well under $10k that is going to give you at least a small taste of the SZ driving experience (let's face it -- a big part is that Busso engine), that's going to keep prices down as well.

All just my two cents, obviously a car is worth whatever a buyer will pay.
ALFA GTV6 GP likes this.
post #161 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:00 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Saw this on an Alfa blog site. Seems like beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, "I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone dug up an ugly Alfa." Zagato does that to people.

As for me I was looking for an special Alfa GT at the time, either a well prepared GTAm-R or GTA-R. The SZ was not far off the price of them and has measureably better performance and is NOT an "R" but an original. Heck, a nice 73 GTV went for over $51k today and that is not unusual any more. I'm satisfied.
Attached Images

HeavyMetalAlfa likes this.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 03-23-2017 at 01:12 PM.
post #162 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:43 PM

Most people think my Milano is ugly and can't understand why on earth I bought it. So be it! I recently sold my Porsche so I could give its garage space to the Alfa, which tells you how much I care about image.
post #163 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I love this thread !!
When I first posted , I had been watching the SZ and RZ for many years, but we couldn't get them here yet.
Now, I come from a serious 25 years, so far, Love affair with GTV6's. Owned way more than a few, saved a great many. Have driven them Literally about a million miles. 10 cross country trips in cars I bought on craigslist in SoCal, AZ, and drove home. Still got a bunch out back.
But when Alfa pulled out and didn't give us the SZ or RZ, I was seriously bummed !!
The Transaxle, Busso V6 legend was brought into a new chapter, and we couldn't get them,,.
I loved and drove the heck out of a lot of 164's of every letter but Q,, enjoyed them as Performance Luxury cars, They were wicked good winter cars with studded tires in front, but front wheel drive wasn't at all the same for me as the rear transaxle DeDion Experience.
Maybe if they brought them here, there would have been new chapters of SZ/RZ's developed !.
They were in the $20k's clean ten years ago, but we couldn't buy them yet.
As I had figured, when they passed the importation ban period, they would go up..

Hence my Original Post.
There are so few, and they are unique and actually perform/drive well,
my current opinion is $45-50K for a driver, to clean for $65K- $75K, top current market,,,
For now.
ALFA GTV6 GP and Anfanuts like this.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #164 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quick story Rory, on Milano looks;,.
In 1988, my friends parents won a Lottery, and their dream had been to buy a New Alfa!!
So they bought new Milano Platinum and they loved it.
As I walked up the road to see it at my friends house, at first look, I blurted," It got hit in the rear already !!!??"
I came to love them though.
Anfanuts likes this.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #165 of 172 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I continue to say on the SZ that they got 80% done working from the front and said, "****, we need to get to production, just cut it off and let's go." And they did.

Nice to see you back Glenn.
HeavyMetalAlfa likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode