Brake warning light on dash - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Brake warning light on dash

I'm trying to diagnose the brake pad warning light on my 88 Verde. I understand that the light is supposed to come on when either the brake pad sensor is worn thru or when the brake fluid level is low. I don't have the original pads with sensors in them, so I connected the wires at the plug to the brake pad sensor together at both the front and rear. I also know that the brake fluid is not low. I've cleaned the grounds in front of the engine bay. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem?

Michael Conrey
Smithsburg, MD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 08:55 PM

Is the orange "ANTI-LOCK" light on? Do brakes feel "normal"? Also, try a search - many discussions about the ABS brakes and problems with them.
Jes
(Repeating what I suggest or do, is at your own risk - be critical)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mezevenf Send a message via AIM to Mezevenf Send a message via MSN to Mezevenf Send a message via Yahoo to Mezevenf Send a message via Skype™ to Mezevenf
I think he's talking about exactly the same problem I'm having right now, the light marked "Brake" flashes constantly or intermittently.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2007, 11:38 PM

Three options: pads, fluid, switch.

I know I'm repeating myself but see my site.
[COLOR="Red"]My web sites:[/COLOR] [URL=http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Craig's Place[/COLOR][/URL] & [URL=http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/164_page.htm][COLOR="Orange"]Craig's 164 Place[/COLOR][/URL]
Old 03-17-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezevenf View Post
I think he's talking about exactly the same problem I'm having right now...
B, it is an ABS equipped car! I think yours has standard brakes...??? The ABS can make the brake warning light come on if something isn't right. But, it would typically be accompanied by the orange "ANTI-LOCK" warning light if it is ABS related, I think.
Jes

Last edited by AR4me; 03-17-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Bernard is correct. The ABS is working fine and the ABS light is not on. It's the "brake" light that is blinking. I was hoping someone might be able to suggest where to hook my voltmeter and what readings I should see to test various functions - at the arc control, at the brake pad sensor wires, at the brake fluid sensor switch, etc. I'm one of those guys that doesn't understand electrics very well. I have a voltmeter, but don't know how to use it very well...

Michael Conrey
Smithsburg, MD
Old 03-17-2007, 05:09 PM

Funnily enough, two of our cars are having the same problem again.

However both cars have had the pad sensors shorted out, fluid is perfectly fine. The problem is that it's intermittent, sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. I've found that if I turn the car off and on a few times it can resolve. I've checked on of the shorts and it appears to be fine, the other I won't go near unless necessary (currently under my battery and 18mm MDF). Both '87 non-ABS 75s.

Any pointers?

ROCK ON
R~R
Old 03-17-2007, 09:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mezevenf Send a message via AIM to Mezevenf Send a message via MSN to Mezevenf Send a message via Yahoo to Mezevenf Send a message via Skype™ to Mezevenf
Three it seems Rookie,

And Jes I didnt realise it was an ABS car, I dont have that orange warning light (you were right, no ABS for me) so I thought you meant it only and not the other brake light. Figured maybe differences in ARC units but hey.

Seems we all have the same problem, though I haven't checked my brake pad wires yet.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:50 PM

After all, does seem like you guys have a similar issue regardless of ABS vs. non-ABS...
Jes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.