Wilwood brake proportioning valve - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Wilwood brake proportioning valve

I was disappointed in the braking action of my 89' non-abs Milano and decided to investigate. It has plenty of pedal, but the binders just don't haul it down as fast as it should, and the right front seems to lock up, but not the left. New Repco brake pads did no better. The stock proportioning valve was seeping fluid, so I looked for a new replacement only to find that they are no longer available. With nothing to loose, I decided to take it apart to see if something was amiss inside. Everything looked fine, so I put it back together and re-installed and re-bled the brakes. Instead of it seeping fluid, now it pretty much just drains fluid on the floor and brake action is still poor. I'm kind of confused on how this thing works also. The right front brake goes directly to the master cylinder where as the left front goes through the valve first and then to the wheel. The rear goes through the valve and then to the rear wheels.

So I decided to go with a adjustable Wilwood unit and see what happens. It mounted easily with just a little tweeking of the stock brake lines. Now both the front brakes lines mount directly to the front circuit of the master cylinder, and the rear circuit passes through the Wilwood unit and then to the rear wheels.

After a couple of test stops, and setting the bias more towards the rear wheels, I believe it has improved the braking action considerably of my Milano.
In hind sight, I should have done some measurements to back up my seat of the pants feeling - but it's too late now.
Attached Images

60' PA-24 Comanche
61' Giulietta Spider
69' 1750 Boat tail
73' 911T
89' Milano Gold
90' Graduate Spider

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 01:31 PM

Indeed, seems like the proportioning valve was faulty. I have seen them available new, but you have to search around, and they are not that cheap.
Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia Brake Proportioning Valves

You can also try googling with the part number.

But, seems you've found a solution to suit you. I'm always mindful, though, if the chances of locking up the rears in the wet when going around a corner (for example); don't give yourself a fright!

Good job.

2009 159SW Ti 3.2 Q4 . Alfa Red - Black | 2006 GT 3.2 . Kyalami Black - Red
1994 155 2.0 8V TS . Gunmetal Grey - Grey | 1989 75 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comancheflyer View Post
I was disappointed in the braking action of my 89' non-abs Milano and decided to investigate. It has plenty of pedal, but the binders just don't haul it down as fast as it should, and the right front seems to lock up, but not the left. New Repco brake pads did no better. The stock proportioning valve was seeping fluid, so I looked for a new replacement only to find that they are no longer available. With nothing to loose, I decided to take it apart to see if something was amiss inside. Everything looked fine, so I put it back together and re-installed and re-bled the brakes. Instead of it seeping fluid, now it pretty much just drains fluid on the floor and brake action is still poor. I'm kind of confused on how this thing works also. The right front brake goes directly to the master cylinder where as the left front goes through the valve first and then to the wheel. The rear goes through the valve and then to the rear wheels.

So I decided to go with a adjustable Wilwood unit and see what happens. It mounted easily with just a little tweeking of the stock brake lines. Now both the front brakes lines mount directly to the front circuit of the master cylinder, and the rear circuit passes through the Wilwood unit and then to the rear wheels.

After a couple of test stops, and setting the bias more towards the rear wheels, I believe it has improved the braking action considerably of my Milano.
In hind sight, I should have done some measurements to back up my seat of the pants feeling - but it's too late now.

I have been using a Wilwood unit like this for years on my 86 GTV6 (which used the same proportioning valve as the Milano). My car also has a residual pressure fitting for the rear brakes (2 psi) and the result is a very firm very high pedal.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:39 PM

Thank you for posting this! I've switched from ABS to non-ABS on my Verde project. I've been hunting for a setup like this because the same exact thing happened with me. OEM proportioning valve leaked and I've been doing a million other things. I'm definately going to try this Wilwood system out. Thank you!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 PM

Is there anyway you can post or get me more pictures of this set up? Seems dark and unclear where exactly all the lines are going.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Maybe these are clearer pictures of the installation. It was pretty straight forward installing the valve. Remove the old valve. Carefully re-bend the left front brake line into a 90 degree bend and attach to front outlet of master cylinder. Carefully re-bend rear brake line so that it connects to the outlet port of the Wilwood valve. Use one of the left over short lines to attach the rear port on the master to the inlet port of the new valve. Tubing bender and patience is recommended to make nice gentle bends.
Attached Images

60' PA-24 Comanche
61' Giulietta Spider
69' 1750 Boat tail
73' 911T
89' Milano Gold
90' Graduate Spider

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM

Excellent! I will be doing this soon. Thank you for more pictures and clearer explanation!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:21 PM

1992 alfa romeo 164s brake proportioning valve

I am currently looking for a proportioning valve for a 1992 alfa romeo 164s I noticed that it is mounted under the vehicle between the rear wheels. is that the valve or just a block to separate the rear brake lines please need help figuring this out. the vehicle is leaking brake fluid from this part.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Bored Member
Gold Subscriber

Garage
t's the valve. requires a specific instal process vinny. ciao jc

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...

Last edited by jc96; 04-25-2015 at 10:41 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:24 PM

Nice!
I went with a new factory one, but I hadn't considered this. Might want to get some heat reflective shielding for it though. Everything gets really hot there, being so close to the exh. manifold.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:58 PM

Does that willwood unit have the correct thread fitting size to bolt right on to our brake lines? I have a russel proportion valve from amazon but the thread is 1/8NPT so now i either have to find some adapters or install new fittings and flare.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Yes, Wilwood makes the correct metric part with the appropriate flares. I have on on my GTV6. I think it's this one but can doublecheck my part number when I get home if you like.

Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - MasterCylinder No: 260-12627

Steve
1986 GTV6 3.0 - No 2nd gear crunch.... yet
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 PM

Should have got that one to begin with. I ended up installing standard fittings and flares to fit the valve I bought.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:23 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Just did this modification due to a leaking original proportioning valve. Thanks to Comancheflyer for the details and pics. Took a bunch of careful bending but wasn't too bad to get it in there.

My brake pressure gauge is somewhat suspect, but I was getting about 800 PSI at the rear brakes with the OEM valve. The Wiwood valve screwed all the way out gave me about 750, and each turn was approximately +50 PSI so I gave it about two turns in to start. Seems to be working okay, but I'm curious how others have theirs adjusted?

Tom

1991 Spider
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Are you guys locking up your fronts and therefore applying more pressure to the rear?

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode